CAA Worker Fired for Shirking Duty

Special Projects Coordinator Adam Walters was dismissed Thursday for allegedly failing to fulfill his duties as the foreman of CAA's Beat Dook Week.

The Daily Tar Heel has learned that Walters canceled the CAA's reservations for the Pit in order to allow former CAA presidential candidate Michael Songer to nab the time slot for campaign purposes.

Pruitt, whose position as CAA president gives him the power to hire and fire staff members, said Walters' involvement in the Songer campaign interfered with his responsibilities to adequately publicize last week's activities in preparation for UNC's Sunday matchup with Duke. "This is further example why we've had internal conflict, because people haven't learned to wear two hats at the same time," Pruitt said.

CAA Press Secretary Tiffany Black and Homecoming Co-director Devyn Spence were removed from their posts Tuesday, also for allegedly neglecting their CAA duties.

Pruitt said it was Walters' responsibility to get the word out about the week's biggest attraction, "What Would You Do for Dook Tickets?"

Pruitt said that he went to the Reservations Office in August to reserve the Pit for publicity Tuesday, and that the External Relations Committee had already prepared publicity materials.

But only Songer's camp could be found in the Pit on Tuesday, so Pruitt said he went to the Reservations Office, where employees there checked reservation records.

Employees found that on Feb. 19, Walters canceled the reservation at 3:34 p.m. Only three minutes later, Songer reserved the same spot for his campaign -- information later confirmed by Jon Curtis, assistant director of student activities.

"We gave (Walters) no authority to do this whatsoever," Pruitt said. "We're obviously sorry it has to come to this, but ... this shouldn't get in the way of our output."

Walters could not be reached for comment this weekend, but Songer said he accompanied Walters to the Reservations Office after asking Walters if CAA had plans to use the Pit. "(Walters) said the CAA didn't need it for anything."

Although Songer was himself dismissed from Cabinet on Jan. 24 and three of his campaign workers fired during the last week, Pruitt said the firings are not related to previous tensions with Songer. "They were on his staff for the last month -- why would I fire people after the polls close if it had to do with Songer?"

But Songer said the terminations were evidence of lingering hostility within the Cabinet, because all three people -- four with himself included -- were four of the most productive members of Cabinet. "It's disappointing," Songer said. "Clearly there was another motivation because there are a lot of people still on Cabinet who have done virtually nothing for CAA."

Liz Gardner, CAA Ways and Means co-coordinator, said the latest personnel problems are indicative of faulty leadership and abuse of power within the organization. "Lots of people on Cabinet are not fulfilling their responsibilities -- I think it's just a scapegoat."

She said the firings and internal tensions throughout the year have sullied her opinion of CAA. "I'm not going to put up with this anymore."