In 1926, Carter G. Woodson, "the father of black history," established Negro History Week. Later, in the 1960s, the celebration of the achievements of African-Americans became Black History Month, celebrated in February. African and black Americans have striven to commemorate their history and importance of their achievements during this month.

In the past, Lenoir Dining Hall celebrated different holidays by presenting different foods from various cultures. However, during the month of February, the administrative directors of CDS neglected to celebrate black history. They did however make an effort to celebrate President's Day, Valentine's Day and Mardi Gras.

The purpose of my letter is to highlight neglect on the part of Carolina Dining Services. As a campus community, we should all be just as proud and eager to celebrate the culture and achievements of African Americans as we are other holidays.

Why were no efforts made to recognize the contributions of Africans and African Americans to America culture and cuisine? Was it too much trouble to hang up posters with faces of prominent civil rights leaders? Surely CDS did not intend to suggest that African-American contributions to America, the South and the University were in vain or unworthy of recognition.

In the future, management at Carolina Dining Services should increase its efforts to highlight the cultures of other ethnicities in its special programming. The history of various ethnic populations is fast becoming a part of American History. They too should be celebrated as such.

Shawn Brooks

Co-Chairman, Sonja H. Stone Freestanding Black Cultural Center

Junior

Communications and African-American Studies