Congress to Vote On CAA Tonight

Student Congress will meet tonight to vote on a bill that would give Congress oversight powers for CAA and two resolutions that would censure the organization's leadership and President Tee Pruitt.

One week ago, Congress' Rules and Judiciary Committee passed a bill presented by Chairwoman Sarah Marks that would amend the CAA's Constitution and make the group responsible to Congress.

At the same time, the Student Affairs Committee passed two resolutions by representative Tony Larson calling for the censure of the group's top dogs.

The censures would draw attention to concerns raised in recent weeks and could prompt further investigation but would have no effect on involved students' personal records.

Board of Elections Vice Chairman Fred Hill told Congress last Tuesday he can prove that men's basketball ticket distributions have been rigged and that Pruitt handles a ticket "slush fund" to distribute to his discretion. But officials from the Ticket Office have said such a fund is illogical based on their numbers.

Larson and Marks brought forth the legislation, saying recent questions about possible improprieties by the CAA made the group ripe for scrutiny.

But as the vote draws near, Pruitt said he is disappointed with the way Congress has handled the situation.

He said Monday was the first time he was privy to the written legislation in question and was given a chance to respond to allegations of the group's misconduct. "I still unfortunately think that all of this is because of perpetuation of the rumor mill," Pruitt said. "I think that for one reason or another a lot of people are holding inaccurate accusations as truths."

He expressed frustration that the legislation went before the committees last week without his being notified.

Pruitt said that he and other CAA members have been treated as criminals before any accusations can be proven to be true. "We have no plans to attend (the meeting) at all," he said. "We don't want to get caught up in any sort of feeling or demeanor or appearance that we're on trial, because it has certainly felt that way."

But Marks said she invited him to meet with her Monday to discuss his side. "There was no conclusion, just discussion -- fairly amicable discussion," she said.

Pruitt said his meeting with Marks and another with Larson were the first time he has been given a fair opportunity to defend the CAA. He said both meetings were productive and helped him better understand the legislation on the table.

"(Congress has) got to do what they've got to do, and we'll see what happens," Pruitt said. "We'll evaluate everything after they make their decisions."