Duke Staves Off Tar Heel Comeback

The Tar Heels again displayed that resiliency Wednesday night as they opened the ACC season against Duke, erasing a five-goal Blue Devil lead after falling behind 7-2.

Yet UNC could not manage its first conference victory since 1999, losing

11-8 at Fetzer Field.

The loss moves UNC to 4-2 on the season and 0-1 in ACC play. Duke moves to 6-2 overall and 1-1 in the ACC.

"We played hard tonight," UNC coach John Haus said. "But in tight games, we have got to make the plays. Tonight, Duke made the plays they needed to win the game."

Making several plays for Duke was midfielder Chris Hartofilis. The senior scored three goals and tacked on an assist.

"There was a lot of attention on other players tonight and that left some space open for me," Hartofilis said. "We were moving the ball around, and I was getting some good spots."

After UNC tied the game 7-7, Duke broke a scoring drought of 17:25 at the 7:56 mark of the third quarter with a goal by Kevin Brennan to go up 8-7.

The Devils proceeded to post two more goals in the third, scored by Kevin Cassese and Greg Patchak, to give them a 10-7 lead.

UNC managed only one score after Duke responded to its rally -- a goal at the 46-second mark of the third quarter by Johnny Seivold. The Tar Heels went scoreless over the last 27 minutes of the game.

"We were just trying to get a quick steal or a quick goal in the fourth period," attackman Steven Will said. "We were pressing them, but they handled it."

Will and Seivold led the scoring attack for UNC, each posting two goals.

The Tar Heels outshot Duke 40-33, with 18 of those shots coming in the second when UNC scored three goals.

In that second period, the Tar Heels allowed two quick Duke goals before igniting to post three of their own by Peter Anselmo, Seivold and Jeff Sonke.

UNC's two goals early in the third were all they could manage before Duke roared back to seal the game.

"They came in here ranked No. 8 and we are No. 14," Haus said. "It was a huge game for us. We just have to find some people who will make plays in critical situations."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.