Fools' Day Kicks Off Festival

The April Fools' Day Bash, slated to begin at 1 p.m. and last until 4 p.m., will take place in front of the Franklin Street post office. The entire festival, which will be held in the post office's courtyard area, will be sponsored by the Chapel Hill Downtown Commission.

This is the first year that an April Fools' Day Bash will kick off the festival.

Robert Humphreys, the executive director of the downtown commission, said he thinks it will be a good way to jump-start the monthlong festivities.

"I think it is going to be a lot of fun," he said. "There will be something extra for everyone on a pretty Sunday afternoon."

The performers on Sunday will include Kittybox and the Alleycats, Mesmorythm, Hip Hop Nation, Playmakers Magic Trunk, Willie the Clown and saxophonist Parrish Anderson.

"We are looking forward to playing with as many kids as possible," said Sally Holton, coordinator of special projects at the Playmakers Theatre.

"We will have a huge treasure chest filled with costumes and jewelry, and the kids go hogwild through the costumes."

The local band Kittybox and the Alleycats will open the celebration early Sunday afternoon. Mesmorythm and Hip Hop Nation, two groups affiliated with the University, will follow the band, showcasing the talent of UNC students.

Hip Hop Nation is scheduled to start its show at 2:30 p.m., and Mesmorythm will begin playing an hour later.

Willie the Clown will be patrolling the courtyard during all of the shows to entertain all of the kids, Humphreys said. The clown also will be the center of attention when he performs a magic show at 3 p.m.

"The month of April is full of arts activities, events and showings that will be an incredible month for the arts, and much of it will be held on campus," Humphreys said.

The festival is highlighted by the annual Apple Chill Arts and Crafts street fair on April 22. "Last year's festival was a huge success," Humphreys said. "We are looking forward to an even bigger festival this year."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.