Forum Addresses Local Mass Transit

Seven area residents voiced their opinions about public transportation to representatives from the Chapel Hill Transportation Board, the Triangle Transit Authority and the Chapel Hill Transit Authority.

Chapel Hill Transportation Planner David Bonk began the forum by assessing the popularity of Chapel Hill's transit system. He said there has been a general upward trend in ridership since 1990, as well as an increase in service hours.

"Statistics show quite clearly that Chapel Hill has not only the highest per capita ridership in North Carolina, but in all of the U.S. when compared to towns our size," Bonk said.

TTA Transportation Planner John Tallmadge then explained the TTA's short-term transit plans for Chapel Hill. Construction of a proposed regional rail system linking Durham and Raleigh will not begin until 2003, but the TTA will take two steps that will affect Chapel Hill in the meantime, Tallmadge said.

The first is to increase commuter bus service linking Chapel Hill to Durham and Research Triangle Park from every 30 minutes to every 15 minutes during peak periods -- a change that will begin next January or February. The second step is to add commuter bus service from Chapel Hill to Hillsborough, which is planned for 2005.

How to best expand both TTA service and Chapel Hill transit hours and locations served dominated discussion among residents.

Marcia Decker, of 40 Colonial Arms Apartments, said the TTA should keep commuters in mind when increasing service. Decker said many commuters would prefer convenient bus service to the current 45-minute trip to RTP or 60-minute trip to Raleigh.

Bob Joesting of 204 Short St. agreed with Decker and suggested adding express buses between Durham and Chapel Hill, while keeping some local routes. "Make one bus as direct as possible," he said.

David Bleicher of 108-B Pleasant Drive in Carrboro said the TTA should extend its routes into Carrboro or Hillsborough.

Tallmadge said that was not possible because too few people would use the service. "In the near term, we need to do a better job of coordinating TTA's schedule with the Chapel Hill schedule," he said. "It will be some time before the TTA splits up routes to penetrate further."

Several others asked the town's transit board to increase service -- even if it meant increasing fares.

But UNC students recently approved a proposal that, if adopted by the town, would make Chapel Hill Transit buses fare free. Opponents claim the plan could decrease overall revenue, possibly hindering service expansion.

Barry Shanley, a job counselor with Caramore Community in Carrboro, said limited service hours in the evenings and on weekends make it difficult for entry-level workers to get to and from work. "Mass transit should be more reliable than private transit," he said. "People are willing to pay for quality."

Bleicher said he agreed. "If it's a choice between expanding service and reduced fares, I'll take expanding service."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.