Gymnastics Places 5th At EAGLs

North Carolina tallied a score of 48.575 on floor, the meet's final event, to slip past N.C. State.

Slow start, solid finish.

For the 2001 season, that was the unofficial motto for the North Carolina gymnastics team.

Saturday night at the Smith Center, this scenario was played out again at the East Atlantic Gymnastics League Championships.

Opening on vault and uneven bars, events in which UNC has struggled somewhat this season, the Tar Heels stumbled to a seventh place start.

But UNC fought back with stellar balance beam and floor exercise routines, finishing fifth in the eight-team event.

"Starting off on vault and beam, I knew we were going to be a little bit behind," UNC coach Derek Galvin said.

West Virginia took the EAGL championship for the fourth time in the conference's six years of existence, setting a record score of 196.375.

Maryland, Towson and New Hampshire rounded out the top four.

Mountaineer TeShawne Jackson finished with a perfect 10 on vault, enough to carry her to the all-around crown with a 39.375 score.

The Tar Heels fought through their early stumbles and displayed their resiliency in the final events.

On beam, UNC senior Brooke Wilson and junior Lisa Companioni raked in the top two scores, 9.95 and 9.90, respectively.

"I never consider beam to be my best event," Wilson said. "It's the event I'm most nervous for, so it's nice to do really well on that one because it scares me half to death."

For Companioni, the score on beam tied her personal best.

"Lisa had the best beam performance she has had all year," Galvin said. "Her execution was exceptional; it was just a solid routine."

Wrapping up the meet on floor, four of UNC's six performers finished with scores above 9.70. Sophomore Chrissy Klonne tied a personal best with a 9.775 tally.

The 48.575 tally on floor was enough for the Tar Heels to edge defending league champion N.C. State by .050 points in the total team score.

Still, their fifth place finish will likely be a motivational tool for 2002.

The Tar Heels return all of their gymnasts next season except Wilson, and they will attempt to raise the bar in EAGL competition, where North Carolina has never finished better than fourth place.

"We squeaked by N.C. State, and that is very satisfying," Galvin said. "It was a good meet.

"I think we are capable of scoring a little higher once we gain a little more consistency on our landings on vault."

But judging by the turnout at the Smith Center, the future looks bright for the program.

The 2,384 spectators set a new record for a North Carolina gymnastics event in Chapel Hill.

"It was unreal," Wilson said of the environment. "When you are surrounded by Carolina blue, you can't help but have a wonderful time. It was a blast."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.