Gymnast's Attitude Ties Together Team

Ask any of her UNC teammates, at practice or on campus, and they'll talk about Companioni's fun-loving nature and constant smile.

"Lisa ties everyone together with her humor," sophomore Natalie Halbach said. "She makes you feel good about yourself. She is great when I am stressed, when I am working too hard."

"She brings enthusiasm to the team," Monica Middleton said. "She is always smiling and perky. You can never tell when she has had a bad day."

Companioni has successfully transformed her positive energy towards the mats in 2001. Companioni will get her chance to show that as the Tar Heels host the East Atlantic Gymnastics League Championships at 6 p.m. Saturday at the Smith Center.

In the Tar Heels' nine meets this year, the junior has consistently been among the top performers.

Companioni set a personal best 38.950 score on all-around en route to a first-place finish against William & Mary on Feb. 23.

Proving her consistency, Companioni has finished no worse than 38.125 this year at Carmichael Auditorium.

"Lisa is such a great competitor. We know she is going to be focused," UNC coach Derek Galvin said. "She is one of our strongest competitors on balance beam."

Beam was a great strength for Companioni last season. She finished seventh on the event during the EAGL Championships and carried it over to NCAA regionals, where she finished in 11th place.

"Last year at regionals, I know she was nervous, but she did a great routine," Galvin said. "It's tough as an individual at regionals without team support, but she did a great job."

In 1999, Companioni transferred to UNC after a short stint at Florida. But as the new addition to the team, Companioni wasted no time making her impact.

The 1999 season saw Companioni set her career best of 9.875 on beam, and she was the co-recipient of the Coaches' Award for her beam contributions.

As Companioni has reached the upperclassman ranks, she has also grabbed hold of the leadership reins for a youthful UNC squad.

"You have to be responsible for a lot more than yourself," Companioni said. "The (freshmen) are an incredible group of girls. Everyone is very unique, but at the same time we all come together."

Companioni said she is confident of the team's ability after overachieving for much of 2001.

"We have been through so much, we are such a young team," she said. "It's incredible that we were able to accomplish what we've accomplished this year."

And that's something to smile about.

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.