Men's Lacrosse Snaps Road Losing Streak

Last year Sonke scored in sudden victory overtime at Fetzer Field in Chapel Hill to give the Heels the win 11-10.

Saturday afternoon he scored with one second remaining at Rip Miller Field in Annapolis to lift the 18th-ranked Tar Heels to yet another 11-10 victory against the No. 13 Midshipmen.

Sonke's heroics, which capped a day in which he scored three goals and added three assists, also assured UNC of its first victory outside of Chapel Hill since April 14, 1999, when UNC upset an undefeated and second-ranked Duke team 10-9 in Durham.

In improving to 9-6 all-time against the Midshipmen, the Tar Heels got not only a big game from Sonke but also two goals from fifth-year senior attackman Judd Lattimore, three goals from junior midfielder Pat Jackson and two goals from junior midfielder Tim Gosier.

Both Gosier (five) and Jackson (three) have already equaled or surpassed their goal totals for the whole of the 2000 season after their performances in this game, the Tar Heels' third contest of the season.

Lattimore scored his first goals since 1998. He had been sidelined the entirety of the 1999 and 2000 seasons with major injury problems.

UNC's win also exorcised some of the demons brought on by a

9-4 loss at the hands of Bucknell last Saturday and improved to 2-1 on the season. Navy fell to 0-2.

Carolina senior midfielder Mac Hammer, who won eight of 14 faceoffs, won a faceoff for UNC against Navy's Chris Dingman, and the Tar Heels looked for the game winner. That came off the stick of Sonke, who took a pass from midfielder Lance Zimmerman, to beat Navy goalie Craig Patterson with one second to play.

The Tar Heels (2-1, ACC 0-0) will return to action again next Saturday when they play at Delaware at 7:30 p.m.

Ellis Earns NCAA Trip

Jeff Ellis bettered his personal best in the 800 meters on Saturday (March 3) at the Alex Wilson Invitational hosted by Notre Dame. Ellis won the 800 in a time of 1:49.06, which should assure him a trip to the NCAA championships. This is the second time this season Ellis has broken his own UNC record in this event.

Ian Douglas also competed in the shot put, placing fourth overall with a throw of 55-11 3/4. Douglas is also a NCAA provisional qualifier with a season best put of 59 9.

UNC Match Moved Inside

The North Carolina men's tennis program will match its 3-3 record against the Charlotte 49ers on Monday at 3 p.m. Originally slated as the opener to the Tar Heels' outdoor season, the match will now be played indoors due to weather conditions.

The Tar Heels are currently undefeated against the 49ers in 10 meetings with a 10-0 record all-time. The 49ers compete in Conference USA.

Softball Tournament Canceled

The Carolina Classic was canceled due to bad weather Saturday and Sunday. UNC, Coastal Carolina and Charlotte were set to face off in the tournament at Finley Field.