N.C.'s Diversity Evident in 2000 Census Results

Results from the 2000 U.S. census report show that North Carolina's population is becoming more culturally diverse, largely because of a rapidly increasing Hispanic community.

While the percentage of whites and blacks living in the state has decreased since 1990, the percentage of Hispanics living in North Carolina increased from 1.2 to 4.7 percent -- prompting some officials to say that the state needs to address the needs of the growing Hispanic community.

Whites make up 72.1 percent of the N.C. population, down from 75.6 percent in 1990. The black community decreased slightly, falling from 22 to 21.6 percent of the population.

The state's population as a whole has grown 21.4 percent, up from 6,628,637 to 8,049,313 -- enough to qualify the state for a new seat in the U.S. House, even though Utah officials have called the results into question.

But officials say the most staggering statistic is the dramatic increase in North Carolina's Hispanic population, which was once virtually nonexistent.

Stephen Lilley, an associate professor of sociology at N.C. State University, attributes the state's good economy and low levels of unemployment to the Hispanic population explosion.

Lilley said that during the 1990s, when the nation was experiencing unprecedented economic growth, Mexico and Latin American countries suffered from sluggish economies. As a result, many Hispanics migrated to America in search of work.

Although N.C. wages are low compared to the rest of the nation, UNC-Chapel Hill history Professor Harry Watson added that average wages in the state are still higher than in other countries, particularly Mexico.

And changes are in store for the state's Hispanic community based on the census results.

Lilley said accommodations will have to be made for Hispanics and their needs will have to be represented.

But he said such a task will not be easy because of the diversity within the Hispanic population. Though Hispanics are often stereotyped as agricultural workers, they represent a broad range of professions, including doctors, lawyers and engineers.

And Watson added that language issues should be at the top of the state's list.

In particular, Watson said state officials should take steps toward ensuring equal-educational opportunities for Hispanic students and providing bilingual education facilities.

Watson, who specializes in North Carolina history, added that the census results reveal a changing side of the state's demographics.

He said that in the past, immigrants stayed away from North Carolina in favor of northern states, where there was greater economic opportunity.

But he added that he expects more migration to the South, claiming that states' borders are now more open.

"North Carolina is much more diverse than people assumed," Watson said. "The South in general was a place where immigrants have not come since the 18th century.

"No longer is that the case."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.