New Greek Director Promises to Unite, Empower

Jay Anhorn, the former assistant director of student activities at Coastal Carolina University, kicked off his new position by chatting with the students and faculty with whom he will be working.

Anhorn was named to the post last month by Cindy Wolf Johnson, associate vice chancellor for student affairs. Interim Director of Greek Affairs Aaron Nelson had held the position since October, when former Director Ron Binder retired.

While those attending drank punch and munched on cookies, Anhorn's time was filled by the long line of students and faculty waiting to introduce themselves to him. "It's only day one, but I'm really excited because everyone has been really, really welcoming," he said.

Several people attending expressed enthusiasm about Anhorn's arrival. "I think he's qualified -- very qualified, and I'm excited that we chose him," said Trenya Futrell, who was president of the UNC National Pan Hellenic Council for the past two years.

Tom Darden, president of the Interfraternity Council, agreed. "I think he's great," he said. "We're really looking forward to working with him."

Darden said the new director will have to unite the different factions within the Greek system. "I think one very important issue is going to be promoting the unity between the four councils," he said.

UNC's Greek system is composed of the UNC National Pan Hellenic Council, the Panhellenic Council, the Interfraternity Council and the Greek Alliance Council.

And Darden said he is confident Anhorn will succeed. "Promoting diversity is going to be something he's going to do a really good job with," he said.

Paul Lee, the incoming president of Alpha Iota Omega Christian Brotherhood, said Anhorn has a responsibility to ensure that all Greek organizations are treated equally. "As part of the Greek Alliance Council, we hope to get the same attention as the other Greek groups on campus," he said.

Anhorn also said these are problems he will face. "There's a lot of diversity issues because we have four councils with four very different issues," he said.

While finding the common ground between the groups, Anhorn said he will also encourage students to celebrate the groups' differences.

Anhorn said he will bring plenty of his own ideas to the Greek community at UNC. "My biggest thing is I'm very big into student empowerment," he said.

Already setting his agenda, Anhorn said he will spend his first few days meeting with all the Greek organizations to learn what their expectations are. "I feel like I'm going to learn as much from them as they will from me."