Panel Discusses Campaign Funds

The town-meeting-based discussion, which was followed by a half-hour question-and-answer session, was co-sponsored by the Common Cause Education Fund: Project North Carolina and the UNC program of Southern Politics, Media and Public Life.

Common Cause is a nonpartisan organization that focuses on ensuring the political process serves the general interest, rather than special interests and curbing excessive influence of money on government decisions and elections.

National President of Common Cause Scott Harshbarger said Common Cause has a history of nonpartisan, grassroots involvement in political issues.

"(Common Cause) is not a Democrat (or a) Republican issue, nor is it a liberal (or a) conservative issue, it is about how you change a system," he said.

Harshbarger also spoke on the increase in voter apathy, blaming it mainly on the apparent attention politicians and political parties pay to big business and PACS.

"Money and politics are strong in our democracy," he said. "How much voice you have depends on wealth."

"(But) with the Florida elections, suddenly many people realize a vote can count," he added.

Other panel members also agreed that money runs politics and voters remain an integral part of the democratic process.

Thad Beyle, UNC Pearsall professor of political science, said much of the problems with the political system comes from parties accepting soft money -- donations to political parties from corporations, unions and wealthy individuals.

"In elections, you can see where millionaires can have a chance to win," he said.

"(We) are part of a political system where leaders raising money are using soft money to win."

"(But) people are not listening to local party leaders as much," he added.

"There are signals that maybe parties are not as important."

And John Davis, executive director of N.C. Free -- a political research organization funded by the state business community -- said the voter public is more powerful than what is assumed.

"(In 2000), we were enjoying the longest period of economic expansion in history," he said.

"There was no compelling reason to change.

"The public demanded the president move to the center to get stuff done," he added. "The public is very much in charge."

But Sen. Ellie Kinnaird, D-Orange, said the public is very much intimidated by all the monies raised by political parties.

"It has created such cynicism in the public," she said. "People feel helpless because they know people in thousand-dollar suits are walking the halls in legislature and we don't have constituency walking the halls in legislature.

"(Politicians) have stopped thinking about what service we have given to constituency because we haven't given any."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.