Police Roundup 03/06/01

University

Sunday, March 4

A UNC reserves officer reported the license tag missing from the public safety van he was driving at 3:30 p.m., after having parked the vehicle in a spot reserved for special events outside of the Smith Center.

An unknown suspect removed the tag from the van, which is used to transport officers to and from special events. There is no further information at this time.

A UNC student was taken to Student Health Service by Orange Rescue after a Chapel Hill police officer advised University police that an individual was lying in the street.

Reports state that the victim was found at the corner of South Road and South Columbia Street at 1:08 a.m., trying to walk out into the street.

Police regained control of the student and notified telecommunications to get in contact with Orange Rescue.

University police arrested William Alfonzo Jr. Thorton of Baltimore at 3:30 p.m. for obtaining property under false pretenses after he attempted to sell counterfeit tickets.

Police reports state that the victim arrived at the scene and said Thorton had sold him three tickets at $100 apiece and that he had paid for them using all new $20 bills. Thorton denied having sold anyone tickets, telling officers that he was trying to buy tickets.

The police officers asked to see Thorton's money, which contained at least $300 in $20 bills. Thorton did not have any tickets on him at that time, and denied having ever seen the victim.

Police seized a total of $476 in cash. Thorton was taken to the magistrate's office, where he was put on $3,000 secured bond, and then later taken to Orange County Jail in Hillsborough.

Friday, March 2p>An unidentified white man took a book valued at $35 from Davis Library at 5:45 a.m. A library employee advised that the man come and check the book out after the detection system went off, but instead he ran toward Polk Place.

City

Monday, March 5

Chapel Hill police received a report of a larceny at Carolina Coffee Shop, 138 E. Franklin St., at 12:03 a.m.

Reports state that a rock was used to break glass on the rear door, and an undisclosed amount of money along with a $50 bottle of Wild Turkey were taken. The case has been closed due to exhausted leads.

Sunday, March 4

Carrboro police arrested Walter Nell Morrow, 57, of 501 Jones Ferry Road, Apt. H-1, for assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury, at 10:52 p.m. Officers arrived at the apartment to find Morrow holding a large knife, which he used to stab his wife in the back, reports state.

Morrow was taken to Orange County Jail and held without bond. His first appearance was March 5 at Orange County District Court in Hillsborough.