Police Roundup 03/20/01

University

Sunday, March 18

At 2:41 p.m. University police reported that three males were seen riding their skateboards on the stone wall outside Greenlaw Hall.

When approached by the officers, two ran away. One, an 18-year-old male, was given a written trespass.

A security guard at the Hendrick Building on Friday Center Drive reported that two white males were seen entering the woods carrying a BB gun.

The two men left immediately when they were warned that they were on University property.

Friday, March 16

At 8:26 p.m., 16-year-old Lee Joseph Miller-Finkel of Chapel Hill was cited for possession of less than 1/2 ounce of marijuana.

On his usual rounds, a UNC police officer noticed a car with three people in it parked in the parking lot of the N.C. Botanical Gardens. Checking on the individuals, the officer noticed a marijuana-like smell and asked the individuals to exit the vehicle. Upon searching Miller-Finkel, the officer discovered 8.2 grams of marijuana.

An employee of McLauren Parking reported that the driver of a black BMW bumped into her at least three times as the employee was directing the driver away from an area blocked off with cones on Skipper Bowles Drive at the Kenan Center. This incident is under further investigation.

A UNC employee found property amounting to an estimated $115 at the bus station outside Sitterson Hall. The property included a camera, a microcassette and a speaker.

City

Sunday, March 18

Chapel Hill police arrested Kirin Daniel Walsh, 18, of 1012 Old Lystra Road for possession of 1.8 grams of marijuana and a provisional DWI, at 3:48 a.m.

An officer, who reportedly observed Walsh weave and run off the road, stopped him at Airport Road and Columbia Street, reports state. Reports also state that Walsh almost fell out of the car, could barely stand and tested .06 for blood alcohol level. Walsh was released on a written promise and is scheduled to appear at Orange County District Court in Chapel Hill on April 24.

Chapel Hill police arrested Jesse Andy Boltuc, 25, of 628 Edisto Court at 2:46 a.m. and charged him with driving while intoxicated and speeding.

Reports state that an officer clocked Boltuc at 65 mph in a 35 mph zone at Blossom Lane and Airport Road.

Reports also state that Boltuc was pulled over and asked to perform field tests, on which he performed poorly.

Boltuc registered a .12 on the Intoxilizer, reports state.

Boltuc was released on a written promise and is scheduled to appear in Orange County District Court in Chapel Hill on May 22.

Carrboro police received a report of theft at 12:08 p.m. from Amante Gourmet Pizza at 300 E. Main St.

The restaurant's front door was forced open, causing $250 in damage, and a safe, valued at $950 and containing $3,500 in cash and checks, was stolen from an office, reports state.

Reports also state that latent prints were removed from the front door. The case is under further investigation.

Carrboro police arrested David Aranda Hernandez, 34, of 501 N.C. 54 Bypass, Apt. L-1, for driving while intoxicated and not having an operator's license, at 5:24 a.m.

Reports state that Hernandez was stopped for unsafe movement at N.C. 54 Bypass and Smith Level Road when the officer smelled alcohol. He was transported to the Chapel Hill Police Department where he registered a .19 on the Intoxilizer, reports state. Hernandez was released on a written promise and is scheduled to appear in Orange County District Court in Chapel Hill on April 1.

Chapel Hill police received reports of assault at 1:50 a.m. at Jimmy John's at 306 W. Franklin St.

Reports state that an unknown subject punched the victim in the eye inside the restaurant. The matter is under further investigation.

Saturday, March 17

Chapel Hill police arrested Nick Dodd, 26, of 1303 W. Main St., Carrboro, at 11:09 p.m. for allowing overcrowding at W.B. Yeats Irish Pub, 306 W. Franklin St.

Dodd, manager of W.B. Yeats, was cited and released, reports state. He is scheduled to appear in Orange County District Court in Chapel Hill on April 24.