Police Roundup 3/27/01

City

Sunday, March 25

Chapel Hill police received a report of armed robbery at Ashley Forest Apartments at 4:25 p.m.

Officials said two individuals, one with a gun, knocked on an apartment door, and when it was opened, the individual with the gun went inside and forced one of two victims into a bedroom, which the individual then ransacked.

Officials also said a third individual arrived at the apartment with a 30-caliber Carbine rifle and stood outside with a previous suspect, while one remained inside.

A third victim arrived at the apartment, managed to get the rifle away from the third suspect, dropped it and ran, officials said.

Officials also said the three individuals, who stole over $720 in goods, were seen driving away in a red Honda.

The case is under further investigation.

Chapel Hill police arrested Henry Nathaniel Snipes, 52, of 189 Jones Ferry Road for assault on a female and second-degree trespassing at 6:43 p.m.

Police responded to a 911 call that Snipes refused to leave the victim's home, and police also responded to a 911 hang-up, reports state.

Reports also state that the victim said Snipes hit, pushed and choked her, giving her minor injuries.

Snipes was released on a written promise and is scheduled to appear on April 30 in Orange County District Court in Hillsborough.

Chapel Hill police arrested Christopher Nmn Lutes, 43, of 1033 Saluda Court at 2:31 a.m. for driving while intoxicated.

Police stopped Lutes at Airport Road and Stephens Street after he almost collided with three different vehicles near North Columbia Street and West Rosemary Street, reports state.

Lutes blew a .22 on the Intoxilyzer and was taken to Orange County Jail where he was held in lieu of a $500 unsecured bond, reports state.

Lutes is scheduled to appear on May 1 in Orange County District Court in Chapel Hill.

Chapel Hill police arrested Shaun Decarlo Crosland, 19, of 319 Dupree St. in Durham, for motor vehicle theft, probation violation and two orders for arrest at 3:02 p.m.

Police stopped Crosland at Eastgate Shopping Center when they noticed he was driving a vehicle reported stolen, reports state.

Reports also state that Crosland was identified by the victim of the car theft as the person who stole the car and by police as being a state wanted subject with two outstanding warrants.

The warrants were for assault on a female and two counts of trespassing.

Crosland was taken to Orange County Jail where he was held under no bond.

He is scheduled for trial at Orange County District Criminal Court in Hillsboro on an undisclosed date.

Saturday, March 24

Chapel Hill police arrested Charles Ezar Caperton, 55, of 639 Longview Apt. A, at 11:20 a.m. for assault on a female and false imprisonment.

Officials said Caperton, a UNC employee, had a 47-year-old female in his house, and when she lay on her side, he lay down beside her, held her down against her will, grabbed her breast and put his hands in her pants.

Officials also said the victim freed herself from Caperton, jumped up and ran out yelling.

Caperton was released on a written promise.

He is scheduled to appear on May 4 in Orange County District Court in Hillsborough.

Chapel Hill police were notified at 4:43 p.m. that a female UNC student in an elevator at North Hampton Plaza, 600 Airport Road, was sexually assaulted.

Officials said the suspect entered the elevator after the victim, hit the emergency stop button, refused to let her leave, grabbed her arm and made sexual comments to her.

Officials also said the victim managed to start the elevator.

When the elevator doors opened she pushed out the suspect and ran away screaming.

The victim described the suspect as a male with brown hair and glasses, approximately 5 feet 10 inches to 6 feet 1 inch tall and 155 pounds.

He was described as wearing jeans, a gray sweatshirt and sneakers, officials said.