Renovations to Close Joyner

State-mandated sprinkler systems, electricity and fire alarm upgrades, and drop ceilings to cover exposed pipes will be installed in Joyner during the next school year.

Officials say the closing of Joyner is not expected to cause any problems with housing students next year.

"Joyner has 172 beds," said Rebecca Casey, assistant director of marketing for the housing department. "We try to keep the same number of dorms under renovation every year so that the number of beds remains relatively constant."

Problems with bed space have been alleviated by moving graduate students from Craige Residence Hall, where they were given the option of living alone, to Whitehead Residence Hall, where they must live with a roommate.

Some students indicated that these upgrades were not all that needed to be done.

"I've never had problems, but the building needs new paint and is not handicapped-accessible," said Joyner resident Erin Baker, a freshman psychology major.

Renovation plans also include scheduled upgrades for Alexander, Conner and Winston residence halls during the 2002-2003 school year.

Casey said students being displaced by any renovations will receive priority in housing assignments for the next school year.

"During the recontracting period, March 19 through 23, students will have the option of living in the same region or another residence hall," she said. "They will receive priority assignment."

But not all students are happy about the upcoming move.

"Some of my friends are angry about having to move," said Joyner resident Emily Hardy, a senior business major. "But personally it won't impact me."

Other residence hall renovations are scheduled for the summer. The South Campus high rises usually used for housing during special events and conferences will not be available for summer use due to rewiring and the installation of sprinklers.

Casey said the plan to renovate all residence halls is funded by general housing revenue, not the $3.1 billion bond referendum, and is part of the Master Plan.

"We plan to stick to the scheduled renovations," Casey said. "This is a way to keep current on all renovations."

And Hardy agreed upgrades were much needed in Joyner.

"Joyner needs some improvements," she said. "The pipes make a lot of noise, the roaches are bad, and a lot of people had to repaint their own rooms."