Rowing Races Duke To Open Spring Season

Saturday's meet between the Tar Heels, who are in their fourth season of varsity competition, and the Blue Devils will feature 1,000-meter sprints, but will not impact the standings of the Carlyle Cup, the all-sports championship between the schools.

UNC-UCLA Series Moved Up

Due to expected poor weather conditions on Sunday, UNC and UCLA will begin their three-game baseball series with a day-night doubleheader today at Boshamer Stadium.

Game times are 3 p.m. and 7 p.m.

The game time between the Tar Heels (10-2) and No. 24 Bruins (10-4) on Saturday has been moved up to noon in anticipation of an advancing weather front.

All fans attending Saturday's game will have the chance to win a pair of tickets to Sunday's men's basketball game against Duke.

Lacrosse Squads on the Road

The No. 18 North Carolina men's lacrosse team will try to bounce back from its 9-4 upset loss to Bucknell last weekend when the Tar Heels play No. 13 Navy at noon on Saturday in Annapolis, Md.

The Tar Heels opened up the season Feb. 18 with a 12-7 home victory against Fairfield before falling to Bucknell.

UNC will be looking to break a seven-game road losing streak. The Tar Heels have not won on the road since beating Duke 10-9 on April 14, 1999 in Durham.

UNC leads the all-time series with Navy 8-6. The Tar Heels won last year's game 11-10 on an overtime goal by Jeff Sonke.

The UNC women's lacrosse team (1-0) travels to Johns Hopkins for a game tonight against the Blue Jays.

On Sunday, the Tar Heels face off against defending national champion Maryland, which beat UNC 17-6 in the ACC championship game last season after losing to the Tar Heels 14-13 in four overtimes during the regular season.

Three Tar Heels Look for Improvement

The North Carolina men's and women's track and field teams will be idle this weekend except for three athletes.

High-jumper Joy Ganes will travel to Atlanta, and thrower Ian Douglas and middle-distance runner Jeff Ellis head to Notre Dame in attempts to improve their times/marks for NCAA qualifying.

All three have already met NCAA provisional qualifying standards.

Gymnastics Hosts Final Home Meet

The North Carolina gymnastics team (9-6) will host Illinois-Chicago, Eastern Michigan and Radford on Sunday at

1 p.m. in Carmichael Auditorium.

UNC is fifth in the East Atlantic Gymnastics League (EAGL) and will honor seniors Brooke Wilson and Marianna Webster in the Tar Heels' last home meet of the season.