Spotlight Hits QNC Week

QNC Co-director Jesse Davidson said the goal of the week is to raise awareness of diversity on campus.

"We're not just talking about sexuality, but we want to celebrate any, and all, types of diversity," Davidson said.

QNC began the week with "Homosexual Acts" in the Pit. Davidson said group members handed out suggestive fliers promoting live acts of homosexuality hoping to attract crowds. The acts included a game of four square, juggling and a ride on a unicycle. "We were trying to show that queers are just like everyone else," Davidson said. "We all just want to hang out and have fun."

QNC Secretary Jamie Sohn rode her unicycle to display her talents and to promote Celebration Week. "It's a fun way to get our word out there," she said.

Celebration continued Monday night with a discussion featuring UNC English Professor Tyler Curtain, who teaches a course on sexuality and how it relates to culture.

Curtain led a discussion about how gays and lesbians are able to make a life for themselves in an overwhelmingly hostile environment.

He presented a video of a drag queen to show how many homosexuals become something they are not and make it into their own identity. "These people take the very thing they aren't and take it to the extreme," Curtain said.

He identified drag not as a perverse way of life but rather as a comedic outlook on the parody of life. QNC members attending the discussion spoke about the irony of finding unity through diversity.

Davidson said preparations for the week started at the beginning of the semester to ensure there were many activities for this year's event.

Festivities for the week feature another Pit activity today to promote QNC's own drag show at 8:30 p.m. in the Student Union. Davidson said people will be in the Pit on Tuesday selling tickets and giving students a little taste of what is to come in the show.

Wednesday will offer an opportunity for students to speak out in the Pit on their feelings about diversity. There will also be a hate crime vigil at 6 p.m. in the Pit, followed by a presentation of the movie "But I'm a Cheerleader" in the Student Union.

QNC also invites interested students to join the group at 9 p.m. Thursday at The Artist's Escape to watch "Will and Grace" and get to know other members.

The week culminates with another Pit event Friday afternoon and a trip to "Insomnia" -- Gotham's gay and lesbian night -- at 11:30 p.m.

Davidson said he hopes QNC's Celebration Week will force the UNC community to realize homosexuals are prominent on campus. "Our overall goal for this week is just to gain awareness and promote diversity of all kinds."