State Senate Approves Elections Team Ticket

The bill -- which would require a constitutional amendment -- must now pass the N.C. House.

Sen. Tony Rand, D-Cumberland, who sponsored the bill, said this change is greatly needed.

Rand said that with a two-party state, problems could arise if the governor died and were replaced by a member of the opposing party.

"It doesn't work very well to have a lieutenant governor of one party and a governor of (another) party," he said.

He also cited the high cost of elections as another reason for the change. During last year's race, $3.8 million was spent.

Rand, who ran for lieutenant governor in 1988, added that women and minorities often have a hard time gaining representation in the state's highest offices because it is difficult for them to raise campaign funds.

"(This amendment would) make the position more available to more underrepresented groups," he said.

But Rep. John Blust, R-Guilford, is not sure whether this bill would provide a positive change for the state.

"I've got mixed feelings about it," he said.

He said the amendment would cause the potential future governor to be picked by party officials rather than voters.

He added that this would give the lieutenant governor an immediate advantage if he decided to run for the state's top spot.

He expects the issue to be approved by a slight margin in the House but is not sure whether it will receive the needed three-fifths to add an amendment to the constitution.

He also said state parties could begin holding conventions if the two gubernatorial positions are combined.

"It might strengthen the hand of the parties," he said.

Rep. Leslie Cox, D-Lee, does not understand the motivation behind the bill.

"I think our people should elect officials rather than a select few people," he said.

"I think (the bill) will take the second-highest rank in the state, and have a committee elect them."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.