Student Congress OKs Incoming Of_cers

Juniors Rudy Kleysteuber, Kativa Parker and Dustyn Baker were each unanimously approved for positions on Student Body President-elect Justin Young's Cabinet. Young and current Student Body President Brad Matthews endorsed all the appointees in front of Congress.

Kleysteuber, who is currently co-president of the Campus Y, will be Young's vice president for the coming year. He said he pledges to bring the voices of the students to the forefront. "A lot of times the messages that activists bring to campus get marginalized by the majority of students."

Parker, who will be Young's treasurer, has served as the treasurer of other groups and has student government experience. "I think I'm qualified, and I'm excited about doing this."

Baker, a former student body president candidate and the future secretary for Young's administration, said she plans to use her post to better UNC. "I saw this as a great opportunity to work on Justin's ideas, my ideas and even some of the ideas of other candidates."

Registration reform is an issue that might face the new Cabinet members. Speaker Pro Tem Sandi Chapman wrote a resolution requesting more staff for registration weekends to help students resolve questions.

She said this would enable the University Registrar and the Cashier's Office to be adequately staffed to handle problems that students might have. "This is just saying that they should have enough staff there to allow the administration to fix problems so students can get the classes they need," Chapman said.

Gregory Wahl, chairman of the Student Affairs Committee, said he worried that problems with students being in class could arise. The resolution then passed by a majority decision after an amendment was passed to remove the statement that the process should be moved to a weekday. Congress will now send the resolution to Chancellor James Moeser in hopes that he will consider the proposals.

Many student groups, such as the Undergraduate Linguistics Club and ConCept Of Colors, asked for money from Congress for programs they will be running in the near future.

Some of the most heated debate focused on the New Generations Campus Ministries' request for funding to obtain speakers for its national conference, which is similar to its regional conference held last semester.

During Congress' annual budget weekend held two weeks ago, Congress members refused to fund many speakers for various groups in an effort to avoid a deficit.

But the bill passed by a vote of 9-5 despite some objections, and $720 was given to the group. Jarred York, president of the group, expressed how important the funds will be. "This is vital to us because we need speakers."