Tar Heel Swimmers Finish 10th

Coach Frank Comfort's Tar Heels finished in ninth place with 175 points, their best NCAA finish since 1987 when North Carolina also finished ninth.

Georgia won its third successive NCAA championship, edging Stanford 389 to 387.5.

In action on Saturday night, UNC's Katie Hathaway posted her third top-eight finish of the meet as she swam a school record time of 2 minutes, 11.94 seconds while claiming seventh place in the 200-yard breaststroke.

The Matthews native finished fifth Thursday night in the 200 individual medley and seventh Friday night in the 100 breaststroke.

North Carolina's 400 freestyle relay finished eighth with a time of 3:21.44. UNC had set the school record in the event in the preliminaries Saturday morning at 3:20.36.

The Tar Heels' evening relay consisted of Jessi Perruquet (50.27), Christy Watkins (50.71), Hathaway (50.66) and Erika Acuff (49.80).

A troika of UNC freshmen earned points for the Tar Heels in consolation finals on Saturday. Perruquet took 14th place in the 100 freestyle, Becky Acker placed 13th in the 200 breaststroke and Kelly Weeks was 13th in the 200 butterfly.