Town Council, Residents Oppose Rezoning

At the hearing, the Chapel Hill Town Council discussed the possible rezoning of 32 parcels of land. Rezoning these properties would give the council leverage to insist that 15 percent of the development be low-cost housing when the developers apply for their special-use permit.

But the Planning Board unanimously voted 7-0 against the proposal to rezone the properties. Gay Eddy, chairwoman of the Planning Board said more than half of these properties would be out of compliance with the land-use plan if they were rezoned. "The board urges you not to pursue this rezoning," she said.

Eddy said the land-use plan indicates certain densities, determining how the land can be used. "If the zoning complies with the land-use plan, then the residents can predict what might be built on that land," she said.

But Eddy said that without that option, residents would be left in the dark.

Faced with these concerns, the Chapel Hill Town Council voted to re-evaluate the issue. Town Manager Cal Horton suggested in his preliminary recommendation that the council rezone 16 of the 32 properties considered.

But Roger Waldon, Planning Board director, was quick to point out that if any of the parcels have protest petitions from residents, it will take seven votes instead of six from the council to rezone the area. He also said all but three of the parcels considered have protest petitions on record.

About 30 residents were present, and those who spoke commended the council for its pursuit of area affordable housing.

But some residents, like Mildred Scott of 3411 Westover Road, said they feel they are being penalized for not developing their land.

Anne Maddry of 2510 Homestead Road said she felt that down-zoning the property would be an "arbitrary and capricious use of the town's power."

The residents are upset because the proposal will change the zoning of the 32 parcels to R-1. R-1 is a low-density rating that requires 17,000 square feet of gross land for a single family home. All 32 parcels are zoned higher than R-1 or are designated for mixed use. The higher residential zonings require less space of gross land for a single family home.

Pearlene Peace of 970 Airport Road said she felt that rezoning her property would lower the value of her property and keep the taxes at an "astronomical" level.

Some residents even brought alternative solutions to the table. Joe Capowski of 404 Coolidge St. and a former council member, offered one possibility. "Why not just float a $2 million bond?" he asked.

Bill Stockard, assistant to the town manager, said the council supported a motion that would allow the town to review its position. "It's not scheduled to come back on the calendar anytime soon."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.