UNC Fans Vie for Duke Tickets

But they weren't competing for a $1 million prize. Two coveted pairs of basketball tickets for the Sunday basketball game against Duke were given to the winner and runner-up in the Carolina Athletic Association's "What Would You Do for Dook Tickets?" contest.

The event is a part of the CAA's second annual Beat Dook Week, which also will feature a campuswide gathering from noon to 3 p.m. Sunday at the Hinton James Residence Hall tennis courts.

"This is weeks of brainstorming," said sophomore contestant Trisha Bowker, gesturing at two tables filled with a blender and a variety of condiments. "It started with miniature horses, midgets and tattoos, but that wasn't really feasible."

Students were informed of the contest through the CAA listserv, the CAA-Residence Hall Association newsletter, fliers on campus and a Pit-sit Wednesday, said CAA Special Projects Coordinator Adam Walters.

He said the contest started at 7 a.m. so it could air live on G105 FM's "Bob and Madison Show." From their studio, the hosts served as judges, while G105 employee "Big Flash" served as master of ceremonies.

The spectators, nearly 40 strong at times, were entertained with stunts that mainly incorporated food concoctions.

A group of four girls filled a plastic baby pool with blue Jello and tag-team wrestled as Duke and UNC players.

But the consumption of various combinations of food was the most popular choice -- leading one contestant to vomit.

Bowker and her three friends, junior Rebecca Denton, junior Katie Vogler and senior Jessica Triche, who has tickets but was helping her friends, got groans of delight from the crowd.

The ladies dumped worms, cream spinach, eggs, hot sauce, Pepto-Bismol, toothpaste, vegetable oil, mustard, pickles, soy sauce, milk, lemon juice, grass, honey and a hock of spit -- thanks to Big Flash -- into their blender.

They had a minute to down a glass-full of the manila-colored concoction. Holding their noses and gulping fiercely, all four pulled off the feat.

Their performance was deemed the winning stunt, a deserved title according to some spectators.

"That one right there, because they actually did it after that spitting junk," said freshman Candace Mosby, pointing at the quartet.

The runner-up, Jarad Kanady, a student at Alamance Community College, located in Graham, also received a pair of tickets for licking chocolate sauce from Big Flash's butt crack.

Kanady summed up simply the general consensus among the contestants about their efforts.

"It's worth it. It's definitely worth it."