UNC Women's Track Takes 10th at NCAA INdoors

Schmidt earned the highest finish by a Tar Heel in an individual event, crossing the line second in the 800 meters with a time of 2 minutes, 8.47 seconds.

Flanagan placed seventh in the mile with a time of 4:45.25, edging out Jill Snyder of Wake Forest by four one-hundreths of a second (4:45.29).

UCLA won the 2001 NCAA Indoor Championships with 53.50 points, followed by South Carolina with 40. Clemson and Arizona tied for third with 30 points.

Arkansas, Colorado, Missouri, Texas-El Paso, Houston and North Carolina rounded out the top 10.

The Tar Heels finished with 19.33 points in the competition, just 4.67 points out of the top five.

North Carolina last placed 10th at the indoor championships in 1999.

Seniors Ola Sesay and Joy Ganes walked away with All-America honors. Sesay finished eighth in the long jump with a leap of 20 feet, 9 1/4 inches.

Ganes tied for the eighth spot in the high jump with a mark of 5-10 3/4.

Schmidt and Flanagan, along with Beth George and Edi Ntuen, already earned All-America honors from a second place finish in the distance medley relay on the first day of competition.

The Tar Heels blazed to a UNC-record time of 11:11.11, surpassing its previous top mark of 11:14.43 set only two weeks earlier.

"The (distance medley relay) team did a great job of staying focused," distance coach Michael Whittlesey said. "The team did a tremendous job, especially with our two freshmen anchoring.

"As a coaching staff we are very pleased with the results."

The accomplishment of the relay team comes after Ntuen (400 meters), Flanagan (mile) and Schmidt (800 meters) had already competed in the open events earlier in first day of competition.