3-on-3 Keeps Competition, Hope Alive

Carolina Cancer Focus' second annual tournament brought 22 teams to Woollen Gym to compete for prizes donated by local businesses including Bandido's, Michael Jordan's 23 and Johnny T-Shirt.

Nike also supported CCF by contributing several pairs of sunglasses as the grand prize for the tournament's winning trio.

Tournament organizer Paymon Rouhanifard said he was pleased with the outpouring of interest in the event and the $800 garnered for the Lineberger Center. "We got a lot of support from businesses and also players and volunteers," he said. "The businesses were really helpful and eager to participate, and we had 22 of the best teams you could possibly assemble come out to play."

UNC varsity basketball players Joseph Forte, Will Johnson and Jonathan Holmes showed their support for CCF by playing in the tournament. But to keep team selection fair, organizers made a rule of only one junior varsity or varsity player per three-member team.

As the pool of teams narrowed to 16, eight, four and finally two, the temperature in the gym heated up -- and so did the competition. "There's some pretty serious competition in here, but everyone is really here to have a good time and help the cause," said CCF Vice Chairman Michael Abel.

In the end, Jau'Ron Hayes, Reggie Gore and Matt Schafermeyer walked away with the Nike grand prize, snagging the tournament title for the second year in a row.

Kris Graves, a junior political science and economics major from Pennsylvania, played in two games and said he thinks student involvement in events like the tournament is critical. "It's important for college students to get out and get involved with causes like this and not just sit around and do nothing," he said.

Ivy Spera, a junior biochemistry and music major from New York, said she enjoyed watching the tournament games. "I was actually going to play, but they didn't have enough girls' teams, so I decided to volunteer instead," she said.

As North Carolina's public comprehensive cancer center, the Lineberger Center aims to reduce cancer cases through research, treatment, training and outreach. The facility is staffed by 200 faculty scientists from 25 UNC department, as well as 515 staff members.

H. Shelton Earp, director of the center, said he is excited that UNC students are getting involved in the fight against cancer. "CCF has been a wonderful addition to Lineberger Center support," he said. "Although less than 5 percent of our funding comes from private fund raising, it is a very important part, and (the tournament) makes a valuable contribution."

Although the $800 raised at the event is beneficial, Rouhanifard said he sees the intangible effects as equally important. "Without a doubt, one of the best results is increasing awareness of the fight against cancer on campus."