Anti-Gun Control Column Was NRA Propaganda, Ignores Parents' Concerns\

The other day, I was in Breadmen's for breakfast and for reading I picked up an old tattered The Daily Tar Heel. There was a column by Russ Helms that disgusted me. It was titled "Gun Control Costs Innocent Lives" (April 11). It was straight out of the National Rifle Association playbook: 1/3 propaganda, 1/3 hyperbole and 1/3 pure redneck, gun-nut lies. I thought they taught students how to think for themselves at Carolina. Obviously this guy lets the extremists at the NRA headquarters in Fairfax, Va., do his thinking for him.

And how can a student at Carolina be so stupid that the meaning of the Second Amendment is not understood? Somebody should escort him over to the law school where he could see what the Supreme Court has to say about it in its decisions.

There is a time and a place for thinking people to show their smarts, and that is in Raleigh on May 5 when thousands of courageous, determined moms will let our elected officials know they mean business about getting some sensible gun laws in place.

No doubt the majority of students at Carolina will some day be parents and will have to face the reality of a gun-crazy society while trying to raise their children.

Get on the bandwagon, and protect your future as well as the future of your kids. Go to Raleigh with the rest of us.

LaMotte Akin
Chapel Hill