Baseball Wins 2 From UVa.

Unfortunately for the teams, neither UNC nor UVa. could claim both of them.

Freshman Dennis Robinson started the Tar Heels' series off on the right foot Friday night. He struck out 13 and sprinkled five hits in eight innings of work en route to a 10-6 victory for UNC.

Virginia's ace, Brandon Creswell, ended the series Sunday by throwing a six-hit, two-run complete game to give the Cavaliers a 5-2 win.

"I thought we played solid," Virginia coach Dennis Womack said. "Brandon was the key."

And it was very important for the Cavaliers to find their key and get together on the heels of a terrible performance Saturday. Virginia made six errors in the 7-6 loss.

"I told them (Saturday) I wasn't going to feed 'em if they didn't start playing better," Womack said.

Creswell and the Cavaliers' performance Sunday probably earned the team a meal on the way back to Charlottesville, Va.

Creswell was dominant early, striking out three in the first two innings. He worked two perfect innings and looked well on his way to another one when third baseman Jeff Kamrath let a ball roll past him, thinking it would go foul.

It didn't, and UNC catcher Ron Braun reached first.

But as with most of the rest of the afternoon, the Tar Heels couldn't capitalize on their chances.

Virginia didn't do too much better. The Cavaliers loaded the bases with one out in the top of the sixth and chased starter Scott Autrey from the game. But UNC freshman Daniel Moore came in and shut down Virginia's threat.

The Tar Heels' best opportunity came in the bottom of the ninth. Chad Prosser and Russ Adams rattled off consecutive singles, and a Virginia error pushed the runners to second and third.

But after Creswell received a visit from his pitching coach, he was able to refocus and get out of the jam, giving up only one run.

"He was good," UNC coach Mike Fox said. "Sometimes you've just got to tip your hat to an opponent. You've got to beat him, and he didn't let us beat him."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.