Baseball Blows Lead, Drops Game to UNC-G

10-9 on Tuesday.

The Tar Heels carried a 9-5 lead into the eighth, but relief pitcher Jason Howell gave up seven hits and four runs to tie the game at nine.

In the bottom of the ninth, Ramon Balderas led the inning off with a single. He advanced to second as Howell walked teammate Doug Schutt. Howell then hit Spartan Chad Hayes to load the bases. Balderas scored as Shumaker flew out to center field.

The Tar Heels jumped to an early lead in the top of the second by scoring two runs. The Spartans would grab one run in the bottom of that inning, but UNC extended its lead to 4-1 in the third.

Pitcher Scooter Michael started the game for the Spartans and lasted 2 2/3 innings. He gave up five hits and four earned runs.

His Tar Heel counterpart fared much better. Scott Autrey pitched four innings, gave up two hits, two runs, walked three and struck out three.

With the Tar Heels on top 6-2,

UNC-G scored three runs in the bottom of the sixth.

But the Tar Heels quickly added three runs of their own in the following inning.

UNC-G received boosts from catcher Jesse Martin and first baseman Chris Mittendorf, who combined to go

7-for-9 at the plate.

Martin also added four RBI for the Spartans.

For the Tar Heels, shortstop Chad Prosser continued to have a hot bat. He went 2-for-3 with a RBI. He was 11-for-14 during the Tar Heels' series against Maryland.

Ralph Roberts had four RBI for the Tar Heels after going 2-for-4 at the plate. UNC's Ryan Blake hit a home run in his 1-for-5 night.

The Tar Heels are back in action today at 7 p.m. at Boshamer Stadium against Charlotte.