Beastie Boys Meet Kerouac on Road Trip

But after the last trip I took with some pals out West, it seems that the quintessential image of a rebel without a cause, barreling down the highway with lips embracing a cigarette, top down, blasting good old rock 'n' roll is gone.

Now it's not that I know how to do a road trip better than anyone else, I just think I know. How obtuse.

I figured I would recount, more or less, the last road trip, knowing that the two Deans, James or more importantly Moriarty (of Kerouac's "On the Road") would have wanted to come along.

I've come up with my own acronym to mark the essential elements of a road trip, BMX -- bitchin' tunes, munchies and "xtras."

Bitchin' Tunes -- No trip can be had without the appropriate tunes -- a little bit of everything for everyone in the car. These serve as the fuel.

Munchies -- Food and drink are important, to say the least. One needs an adequate supply of bottled water, Snickers and Red Bull (otherwise known as liquid cocaine).

"Xtras" -- This is where you fit everything else, be it other people, things that make you think other people are in the car (a la Hunter S. Thompson) or fake people so you can utilize the HOV lane.

Now that you're up to speed, let's go.

3 p.m. Thursday -- After skipping my 12:30 class, I marvel at myself for not having had Friday classes since my freshman year. After filling up, I pop in Bebel Gilberto's Tanto Tempo, a wonderful blend of bossa nova and new electronic beats, to ease into the trip.

5 p.m. Thursday -- The excitement of the trip wears off. After devouring a Snickers, I throw in Orishas (A Lo Cubano). There's something about rap in a foreign language. While road tripping, nothing beats making up your own words trying to keep up with the smooth-talking Cuban.

8 p.m. Thursday -- Five hours in and nothing keeps you moving like the Beastie Boys' The In Sound from Way Out! Whether you choose to fire up a joint or take a benzy, the trip is entirely up to you. I generally indulge in order to pass the next couple of hours with ease. Remember -- don't drink and drive.

11 p.m. Thursday -- I usually stop at IHOP for the infamous Rooty, Tooty, Fresh and Fruity. It keeps me laughing for a good hour and provides the obligatory sugar high. As for music, it's late enough that my hidden Robbie Williams fetish emerges -- listen to his newest Sing While You're Winning.

1 a.m. Friday -- I need a Red Bull. It's the next best thing to cocaine, and like many of my investment banking friends, I had to quit for these upcoming job interviews. It's also the perfect time for Thievery Corporation's DJ Kicks -- Washington D.C.'s duo spin the nicest in more upbeat chill-out electronic music.

4 a.m. Friday-- I've thrown in some Gang of Four (Entertainment), The Jam's Greatest Hits and the Minutemen's Double Nickels on the Dime. They're all short and provide the energy for that last 100 mph push. They also make for fantastic conversation topics. I mean, check out some of the song titles on the Minutemen's album: "Political Song for Michael Jackson to Sing," "The Roar of the Masses Could Be Farts" or another Mike Watt classic, "There Ain't Shit on T.V. Tonight."

5:30 a.m. Friday -- After hours of music, timely snacks and mildly entertaining conversation with this guy I picked up at South of the Border, I've made it! I can finally crack that bottle of tequila and check out the sunrise.

Josh Baylin can be reached at jbaylin@email.unc.edu.