DTH Snags Regional SPJ Awards

Competing against college newspapers in Delaware, Maryland, North Carolina, Virginia and Washington, D.C., the DTH won three first place awards, three second place honors and one honorable mention.

First place winners' submissions will be sent on to the national competition. Mark Slagle won first place in editorial writing, Anne Fawcett won first in general column writing, and the DTH staff won first for in-depth reporting for its Master Plan series.

Second place winners included Joe Monaco for general column writing, Cate Doty for spot news reporting and the DTH staff for in-depth reporting for breaking down the chancellor search process and profiling potential candidates.

Sports Editor Rachel Carter received an honorable mention for sportswriting.

UNC senior Geoffrey Graybeal won honorable mention for an article he wrote for the Herald-Sun. The Blue & White and television journalists from the School of Journalism and Mass Communication also won multiple awards.

DTH Editor Matt Dees said he is proud of the awards. "I'm especially pleased that the Master Plan series was honored because that truly was a team effort," he said. "We really do have some very talented writers and sharp editors, but I knew that before this weekend."