Duke Tops UNC, Wins Series

After breaking a 12-game losing streak to the Tar Heels on Saturday , the Blue Devils shut out UNC 4-0 Sunday to clinch the inaugural Carlyle Cup.

Duke starter Justin Dilucchio and four relievers limited UNC (25-20, 6-12 in the ACC) to six hits while stranding 13 Tar Heels in the shutout performance.

The victory gave Duke (20-25, 7-10) a 2-1 series win and the three decisive points in the all-sports competition between the rival athletic programs.

"I think we knew we were going to win," Dilucchio said. "It is a great rivalry and a great win for us."

UNC starter Daniel Moore didn't make it out of the third inning as the Blue Devils struck for three early runs.

Duke got on the board in the first when Drew Jerdan knocked in shortstop Kevin Kelly with an RBI single.

Senior David Mason got things started in the second with a lead off single to left and Gideon Thompson followed with a bloop double down the right field line.

Mason scored on Adam Loftin's sacrifice fly and some aggressive base running led to Duke's third run of the day.

Moore fanned Scott Grossi for the second out of the inning, but the ball skipped away from catcher Ron Braun who had to throw to first to retire Grossi.

Thompson raced home, giving Duke the 3-0 advantage.

UNC's offense had plenty of chances to push a run across, but the Tar Heels could not capitalize with men on base.

UNC batters were hitless in eight trips to the plate with runners in scoring position, and the Tar Heels left the bases loaded twice in the final four innings.

"We didn't get the big hit when we needed to," UNC coach Mike Fox said. "I thought we were swinging at marginal pitches."

Braun popped out to short with the bases loaded to end the sixth, and Chris Maples hit a weak ground ball to end the eighth.

Said Duke coach Bill Hillier, "Whenever you come into Chapel Hill and win, it's a good win."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.