Eggers' Eccentric Style Earns Praise

These are but a few of the figures who fall into a special category in my mind -- a category of people I will never actually meet but with whom I'm still oddly infatuated. After reading "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius," I added David Eggers to this list.

Along with having earned a reputation with this best-selling book, Eggers, who will appear at a book signing at 3 p.m. today at the Bull's Head Book Shop, was a founding editor of the now-defunct Might magazine and is presently editor of the quarterly journal McSweeney's.

And, as the caption below Eggers' book-jacket picture of himself (with a dog) states, "He lives in Brooklyn with his brother. This is not their dog."

"AHWOSG" is the story of how, after the death of both of his parents, Eggers moved to California and raised his younger brother, Toph. As Eggers himself describes the book in his acknowledgments, it's a "memoir-y kind of thing."

Conveniently for his writing career, Eggers has lived the sort of life most fiction writers dream about: surreal sudden-orphan status; hitting the open road, just you and your sibling eating french fries in your dirty house; trying to launch a smart, hip magazine with your buddies; almost getting a part in MTV's "The Real World."

Of course, the things that are a boon to one's writing career tend not to be so convenient to one's everyday life. Losing one's parents, for instance, seems good when you're one of the Boxcar Children, but once fiction meets reality, it's a little different. Eggers has lived his life at this intersection of convenient fictional circumstance and reality.

Thus, while the book is terrifically sharp, witty and sarcastic, it hits at real sadness. In one of the most interesting sections of the book, Eggers describes his "Real World" interview only to launch into an exploration of both his Midwestern middle-class upbringing and his parents' battles with cancer. It is, as the tongue-in-cheek title suggests, a little heartbreaking.

It is also, as the title suggests, incredibly sassy and self-conscious. Eggers begins the book with "Rules and Suggestions for the Enjoyment of this Book," which includes the suggestion that readers skip pages 209-301 and only read the first three or four chapters.

Throughout the book, Eggers constantly licenses himself to make all sorts of claims by being extravagantly self-conscious about them. He epitomizes the sharp-tongued hipster, the self-deprecating yet pompous writer.

He is unabashedly nonliterary (as in the acknowledgement, wherein he says of himself, "And until last year he thought Evelyn Waugh was a woman, and that George Eliot was a man."), yet still obviously immersed in the world of literary cool (note the approving quotes on back cover from Rick Moody, David Sedaris and David Foster Wallace, among others.)

Eggers' writing style is conversational. He's prone to sudden bouts of streams of consciousness peppered with enthusiastic cursing. In a lot of ways, his novel heralds a brand-new written medium that flourishes with a similar style -- the Web log.

Like these "bloggers," Eggers reveals himself to you, and it's strangely endearing. The writing is self-absorbed, but Eggers manages to draw larger themes from these events.

And yes, throughout the book sometimes he's a little annoying -- you get the sense that Eggers has listened to a little too much college radio, been a little too down with the underground, is a little too cleverly self-mocking, as if that will smooth it all over.

Sometimes he is such a smartass that you want to hate his "Oh-I'm-too-clever" guts.

Yet you like him. You just can't help it.

And in the end, you find yourself thinking that Eggers and "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" are both just that -- fresh, staggering and near-genius.

Editor's Note: An advertisement purchased by the Bull's Head Book Shop stated that Eggers' appearance begins at 3:30 p.m. Chelcy Boyer of the Bull's Head confirmed the correct time is 3:00 p.m.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.