Local Band Plays at Bulls' Season Opener

Runaway Cab's quest is in the saturated music market in North Carolina, while that of the Bulls is what the film "Bull Durham" refers to as "the show."

Reminiscent of Bon Jovi's performance on the top of the Ed Sullivan Theater during the David Letterman show, Chapel Hill-based Runaway Cab belted out their self-described "modern rock" atop the upper-level concourse at the Durham Bulls Athletic Park to open the season April 5.

Matt DeMargel, director of media and promotion for the Bulls, said "our assistant general manager saw them (Runaway Cab) on a profile on NBC17 with Larry Pickett and liked their sound."

"We really wanted to find someone with a local flavor," DeMargel added.

Cars honked on the Durham Freeway and fans waiting to enter the stadium danced in the street.

"Its like we're in a music video," said guitarist Erich Brunk.

"To be up here is just off the hook," said lead singer Ned Clark II. "We wanted to have something people could connect with even though we're all the way up here."

A half-hour before the show, countless Bulls' staff and band members were scrambling to get the acoustics just right. Chad Hough, Runaway Cab's drummer, thought it finally sounded good, but he said it wasn't easy.

"It was real tough getting the sound correct playing right into a building and all."

Keyboardist Andrew Parkinson was thrilled with the opportunity and said he'd never played a show quite like it. He said, "this is definitely a first."

Fans of all ages were stomping their feet and bouncing their heads. People strolled up to the stadium surprised yet excited.

"These guys are great," said Joe Pansik, a fan from Wake Forest. "I've seen them a few times in Wilmington and they've always been good."

Barbara Lau, a longtime Bulls fan from Durham, said that she had never been to the stadium so far before the game, but she was excited about the prospect of coming down early to see other local acts who will perform through the Bulls season.

As for Runaway Cab, they will be back in Chapel Hill at the Apple Chill festival on April 22. For more information, visit www.runawaycab.com.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached artsdesk@unc.edu.