Looking Back on Columnist Time

In my application for the position, I wrote I wanted to provide a progressive voice for the UNC community. I got to do that and so much more.

Through my column, I was able to have many inspiring and educational conversations with friends. I also got some practice in e-mail management and still have an inbox full of responses to a column I wrote four weeks ago. (I'll get to you all eventually!)

The weekly column experience has definitely helped my writing. I became a really good word cutter and got lots of practice clarifying what I was trying to say. In that same vein, my ability to thoughtfully articulate my political ideals also improved.

Perhaps most importantly, this column has greatly helped my relationship with my mom. Instead of her seeing only my actions and concluding that I'm a nut, she's been able to read some of my writing, which has stimulated amazing conversations. We've been able to talk more easily about my political views, and we've had some intense personal conversations as well.

The column also has helped my relationship with my partner, Sarah.

I'd like to thank her for all the support she's provided to me with it. She's proofread every one, has provided me with countless ideas and fodder and has comforted me when I've flipped out with stress.

She's also been willing to talk over much of what I've written about and has helped me clarify my thoughts.

Through the column, I have even made a few new friends, one of whom was my editor, Erin. She's been superb, and I've enjoyed all the conversations we've had in the editing room. Thanks, Erin!

As you can see, this column has facilitated my personal growth in many respects.

I know from what I hear that it's reached many others as well. Some tell me they greatly appreciate my weekly presence in the newspaper. I am encouraged by these folks. However, I also know many others are angered by what they call my "liberal agenda." I've been alerted to this especially from this one person who e-mails me in a huff after every column I write.

With some people who have written me or whom I've talked to about my column, we've had amazing conversations, learning to see the other's side and debating our ideas. With others, the conversation hasn't gone quite so well. Some people simply aren't open to hearing what others have to say. All in all, the good conversations have definitely outweighed the bad. And the positive feedback, especially on the masturbation column, has definitely outweighed the negative.

I wasn't so sure about the title of my column when I started out, but I think it turned out to be perfect. I took it from a quote by the famous environmental activist Judi Bari. She said,

"Starting from the very reasonable, but unfortunately revolutionary, concept that social practices which threaten the continuation of life on Earth must be changed, we need a theory of revolutionary ecology that will encompass social and biological issues, class struggle, and a recognition of the role of global corporate capitalism in the oppression of peoples and the destruction of nature."

As I said in my first column, I base my beliefs, and the issues I chose to write about on an incredibly reasonable foundation of kindergarten-level ideals. But the conclusions I have come to are often dismissed because they are considered revolutionary, which somehow became a derogatory word.

There is a bumper sticker that says, "If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention." This is exactly how I feel. The truth is shocking.

With my column, I tried to share with you some snippets of the shocking truth that I have discovered. My hope is that you read with an open mind and an honest desire to uncover new facts, even if you didn't agree with everything I said.

I also hope you read my thoughts without dismissing me as a revolutionary. I think what is revolutionary is fantastic, though many people unfortunately consider such ideas to be outlandish.

When you are young, your parents, teachers and peers all encourage you to be creative, insightful and to think outside the box. But, as you find out later, the moment that your ideas begin to change too drastically and threaten established norms, they tell you to get back in line.

Thus, calling someone a revolutionary is often a powerful tool to silence him or her. I used this column to give a voice to that silence. If you took the time to hear me out, I hope I got a chance to show you that these thoughts that are actually "very reasonable, but unfortunately revolutionary."

Linda Chupkowski is a senior women's studies and psychology major from Fayetteville. Reach her at lichup@email.unc.edu.