Matthews Looks Back

And Matthews says he doesn't care if they're forgotten.

As he hands over the reins of Suite C to junior Justin Young, Matthews said the greatest achievements of his term will be defined by the success of student government in the future -- and won't be directly attributed to his administration.

"I don't expect to be remembered at all," he said. "That's not the point. Making changes that are lasting is what it's all about, and we've left this place a little better than when we got here."

Matthews said internal changes within the structure of student government have created a stronger office, citing the creation of a database to organize and direct about 250 committee appointments that the student body president makes each year.

"Those committees are the most important thing we do, and no one notices that," he said. "The Board of Trustees rarely overturns their recommendations."

But throughout the year, disorganization among those committees, along with bureaucratic red tape and lack of administrative support on certain issues, prevented him from completing all the goals on his platform, Matthews said.

"It was impossible to keep track of all those committees, when they met, what they were doing and who was in charge," he said.

Matthews said such problems prevented him from improving Point-2-Point service, lowering dining hall prices and putting clocks in every classroom -- all goals on his original platform. "I personally think I put too many things on my platform," he said.

Matthews also cited campus issues that surfaced during the year such as Honor Court controversy and concerns about the UNC Master Plan as diversions from the goals on his platform.

"You're not working in a vacuum," he said. "You have to focus on not just your own agenda, but 60 other agendas. We had to constantly reprioritize."

And Matthews said some of his platform's issues, such as ensuring the Carolina Computing Initiative's success, were not expected to yield tangible results in only one year. "(CCI) is a four-year program," he said. "I think people have rushed to initial judgments."

Matthews said he expects clocks to be in all classrooms by the fall semester and that a transit study recently launched by a committee including Faculty Chairwoman Sue Estroff will look into transportation alternatives to the P2P.

Matthews said his administration has had success establishing the Carolina Rental Advocacy Group to increase landlord accountability, implementing an online calendar for all campus events and raising campus and community support for fare-free bus service.

He also said his administration has fulfilled his campaign promise to keep student fees at a minimum. "We kept the increase on student fees to 2.8 percent, which is the lowest it's been in recent history," he said. "If you saw how many fee increase proposals came across my desk, you'd be blown away."

But limited productivity has not been the only criticism of student government this year.

During their February campaigns, some student body president candidates criticized student government for not being accessible enough.

Former candidate Eric Johnson said such criticism was not directed at Matthews but said the style of this year's administration did lack visibility.

"(Matthews) got stuff done but got it done out of the public eye," Johnson said. "Instead of the activist student government, it's been more pragmatic student government."

But Matthews claims his administration has visited residence halls and knocked on thousands of closed doors --rather than worked behind them -- in efforts to communicate with students. He said those efforts also have included weekly focus groups held with students but that conversing with every student is logistically impossible.

"You can't reach out and have a 30-minute discussion with 24,000 people," he said. "It's a balancing act."

And Matthews said some of his most involved work has come from cooperating with University administration and local officials.

Matthews said he is most proud of his administration's work to establish an on-campus poll site and successfully campaign for the $3.1 billion N.C. higher education bond referendum.

"I think people have overlooked the significance of those achievements," he said. "We got more people registered to vote and to actually vote than any other year."

As student body president, Matthews also served as the only student member of the Board of Trustees.

BOT Chairwoman Anne Cates said Matthews was involved with the board's evaluation of the Master Plan, a 50-year blueprint for campus growth that was approved by the board last month.

"He was there and asked all the questions that pertained to students' interests," Cates said. "We listened to what he said."

Chancellor James Moeser agreed, saying that Matthews' contributions to board discussions on the Master Plan well represented his constituents. "Brad listens very well and has a pulse for student perspective," he said. "I think he's been a very strong advocate and spokesman for the students."

Matthews' role within the administration has extended beyond board member to include campus guide for Provost Robert Shelton and Moeser, both in their first year at UNC.

Moeser and Shelton both said Matthews has helped facilitate their introductions to the University, taking them to see campus staples such as Sutton's Drug Store and the Pit Preacher.

"(Matthews has) gone out of his way to help me become familiar with the campus," Moeser said. "He couldn't have been more helpful and has given me good advice."

But as Matthews' term draws to an end, his focus has returned to student concerns.

The final days of Matthews' term have been spent dealing with a campus issue he has purposely evaded all year long -- accusations of corruption within the Carolina Athletic Association.

Matthews said he has avoided involvement in the controversy surrounding the organization this year because his roommate and friend is in the middle of it all -- CAA President Tee Pruitt.

"I've avoided finding out about it until it crosses my professional sphere," Matthews said. "But I'm interested in reaching some closure on this."

But trying to find closure to his daily workload has proven more difficult than Matthews anticipated. He said his 60-hour workweeks exceeded his expectations of what the job would require.

Matthews said he has avoided excess stress by not taking himself too seriously. "Having a sense of humor has been my saving grace," he said.

And as a reality check, Matthews said he keeps an "Animal House" poster of John Belushi in his office. "If I ever forget, that poster reminds me that I'm still a college student," he said.

Matthews said student government still has a need for continued improvement but that he feels his administration has paved the way for greater things from the executive branch.

"We've built a foundation that will last," he said.

"There is a base which student government can use to reach higher. I hope every administration accomplishes more."