Moeser Wants University to Think, Act Globally

Now as UNC's chancellor, he wants UNC students to have a similar international experience and for the entire University to globalize.

"We have to recognize that part of our goal of being a great university is being a world university," he said. "The greater understanding we have about the rest of the world and the people who make up the rest of the world -- that's going to be an essential quality of an educated person."

University officials said state legislation and a smaller financial base than elite private schools presents Moeser with the challenge of developing a vision of how a public university should interact globally.

"It provides an opportunity for Chancellor Moeser, as a leader of a public university, to develop the methods of how (public universities) can do this," said Raymond Farrow, development director for International Studies and the College of Arts and Sciences. "It's going to be a different path than private universities."

But Director of International Studies James Peacock said the bond between a public university and state can survive in a globalized world.

"Public universities need to respond to its constituents," he said. "The state is moving in a similar (global) manner; therefore, the University can respond to the state and move in a global direction."

The path for UNC so far involves three areas -- increasing the number of undergraduates who study abroad, establishing relationships with international institutions in cooperative research and service, and improving the global atmosphere on campus.

When Moeser traveled to Monterrey Tech in Mexico a month ago, steps were made toward all three areas.

"They would like ultimately 500 Mexican students with an opportunity to come to this campus, with the opportunity for 500 Chapel Hill students to study in Mexico," Moeser said.

"It's actually moving on a fairly rapid track, but I think that it will be a gradual process being that large of an exchange process, of course."

Efforts in the three areas will be aided because foundations already have been established.

Nearly 800 undergraduates study abroad each year, and UNC is ranked seventh for large universities that send students abroad.

"The number increases every semester," said Madge Hubbard, senior associate director of study abroad. "We are trying to keep up with demand."

But this number is far from Moeser's desire expressed during his University Day speech for all undergraduates to have the chance to study abroad.

"It shows you that we're just scratching the surface," said Farrow. "The same kids that are going abroad now are the same (type of) kids from 10 to 15 years ago."

Officials plan to boost the number of students who study abroad by creating an endowment to increase the number of scholarships available. Some of the funds from the Carolina First development campaign, which aims to raise $1.5 billion in alumni donations over seven years for University programs, will be used to aid both students and faculty studying abroad.

The Study Abroad office is currently reviewing the programs it offers and hopes to eventually offer enough programs so that no student's academic tract at UNC is interrupted.

In tackling the second tier of the areas being worked on, those students and faculty studying abroad would have a UNC connection in the region in which they are studying.

A notable connection is the Kenan Institute Asia, a nonprofit institution that provides training and education in Thailand through the financial aid of U.S. firms.

Moeser said UNC is currently pursuing similar connections through forming a relationship with Qatar, expanding study abroad opportunities in Prague and possibly creating a physical site in London.

For those in Chapel Hill, these elements will be encompassed in the Center for Global Education. This future building will house all elements of international studies. A site has not yet been selected, and the time duration for the building to become a reality is contingent on site location.

University officials said the three areas need time to reach the desired outcomes but that the effort is necessary to enable UNC's evolution from a national university to a world university.

Moeser said this process will benefit everyone.

"I think we have a responsibility to individual students, and I think we have a responsibility to our country and to the world to make that happen."