Racy UNC Video Clips to Stay on Internet

Alltrue.com added UNC to its sometimes-racy collection of college reality tours April 16. The site features video clips of University students engaged in activities not normally promoted by the Admissions Office, including scenes of nudity, partying and profanity.

Officials from Alltrue.com say the site is meant to be a service to applicants, albeit one they hope isn't taken too seriously.

"The college reality tour's purpose is to entertain and help prospective students," said Matt Heidl, the director of media relations for Alltrue.com. "However, I would hope that students wouldn't normally base their college decisions on the site."

UNC is featured on the Web site's main page, which contains a link to videos of an unidentified student from N.C. State University on Halloween pursuing fellow revelers in Chapel Hill. In one scene, he rewards partygoers with candy for displaying certain parts of their anatomies.

The site also features a tour of campus by an unidentified UNC student who describes Davis Library as the best place for public sex on campus.

The videos were created by a production team from Alltrue.com who visited the campus at the end of October last year.

"Through these videos, we are trying to catch a snapshot of campus life and its mythologies," Heidl said. "We don't claim to be rated G."

Sue Kitchen, vice chancellor of student affairs, said as long as the University's name and symbol were not being used on the site, there is little that can be done to remove the videos.

"I think that a site like this is a disservice to the University but doesn't pretend to be a full picture," Kitchen said. "I would hope that students who are looking at the University would look to a variety of sources to get this full picture."

The college reality tour features 20 universities, including Cornell University, the University of Virginia and the State University of New York at Albany.

"We are very open to student submissions," Heidl said. "A crazier little slice of experience is definitely what we are looking for."

Heidl said Alltrue.com has not received submissions from UNC students due to the short time the University has been featured on the site.

He said the best tapes the site has received to date have been a fist fight at a party at Virginia and a woman at SUNY-Albany displaying her breasts for slices of pizza. The latter video had to be removed from the site.

Heidl said each submission is carefully scrutinized before being published on the site. He said each clearly recognizable person in the film must sign a consent form for it to be placed on the site.

"If someone trashed a school in a film, we would probably put it up if it were entertaining," he said. "We hope that people are smart enough to figure out that these people are a small subset of the school population."