Rowers Finish 3rd in California Cup

Maryland Takes Series From Baseball

COLLEGE PARK, Md. -- North Carolina defeated Maryland 16-9 on Sunday at Shipley Field to avoid being swept by the Terrapins. Chad Prosser was 11-for-14 at the plate this weekend for the Tar Heels.

Saturday, Terp catcher Kevin McDonald went 4-for-6 with a home run and five RBI to give the Terps a 15-12 victory.

The second-straight win against North Carolina marks the first time that the Terps have won a three-game series at home against the Tar Heels since 1986.

Gymnasts Compete at NCAA Regionals

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Three North Carolina gymnasts competed as individuals at the Southeast NCAA Regional Championships at Florida.

UNC's top finisher, freshman Maddy Curley, tied for fifth on balance beam with a personal best score of 9.875 and tied for eighth-place on floor with a personal best score of 9.875.

Brooke Wilson finished eight in the all-around with a 39.100. Sophomore Natalie Halbach tied for 20th on balance beam with a score of 9.750.

Athletes Win Track Events

AUSTIN, Texas -- North Carolina competed well at the Duke Invitational and Texas Relays on Saturday under grueling heat and stiff competition. The Tar Heels had two standouts in Brent Callaway at the Texas Relays and Kim Timberlake at the Duke Invitational.

Timberlake, in her first 3,000 steeplechase of the season, earned an NCAA provisional bid finishing second at the Duke Invitational in a time of 3:53.46. Callaway finished seventh in the pole vault at the Texas Relays with a personal best 17-4 1/2, also an NCAA provisional qualifying mark.

Friday, Stefani Dixon, finishing 10th in the women's pole vault, set a new UNC Outdoor record with a jump of 11-11 3/4. Jill Pedretti set a personal best in the discus of 173-10, bettering her NCAA provisional qualifying mark.

In relay action, the women's distance medley relay team comprised of All-Americas Edi Ntuen, Alice Schmidt, Beth George and Shalane Flanagan won the event in a time of 11:22.97.

Men's Tennis Tops VCU

RICHMOND, Va. -- Marcio Petrone defeated Florian Marquardt 4-6, 6-3,

6-3 to clinch North Carolina's 4-3 win against Virginia Commonwealth on Saturday.

VCU has five of six starters back from last year's squad which lost to Stanford 4-1 in the NCAA Finals.

The match began inauspiciously for the Tar Heels as they lost the doubles point for the first time in eight matches.

Women's Golf Grabs 9th

The North Carolina women's golf team finished the final round of the Bryan National Collegiate in ninth place with a team total 914. Freshman Ashley Prange was the top Tar Heel, tied for 25th place.