SADD Promotes Safe Prom Night

The car was put in place Tuesday morning, and students said they hope it will influence the decisions made prom night about drinking and driving.

"Underage drinking has been a problem in the past, and that is why we are pushing the program so hard this year," CHHS senior Julie Wheetley said.

Wheetley, who is president of Students Against Drunk Driving, said the organization has planned several activities to warn students of the dangers of underage drunken driving.

SADD is working with school officials to take steps to curb underage drinking and driving by arranging demonstrations and possibly giving breathalyzer tests at this year's prom.

This will be the first year CHHS has considered giving breathalyzer tests at the prom, but the idea comes from another local high school.

Chapel Hill Principal Mary Ann Hardebeck said East Chapel Hill High School had the tests last year at its prom, and they proved to be very effective among the students.

"We want to promote the safest possible end-of-year activities and show kids that they can have a good time without alcohol," she said.

CHHS senior Elizabeth Eubanks said she thinks breathalyzer tests at prom would be a good idea for students.

"I know some kids are upset and will try to find ways to get out of the tests, but they will get over it," she said. "I think students should wait and drink at after-parties if they are going to drink.

"They shouldn't have to drink at the prom."

In addition to the tests, other methods to prevent underage drinking have been planned.

Linda Hammock, the SADD adviser at CHHS, said that on May 1, the school will be holding its annual Culture Fest and for the first time, a Prom Promise Fair will be held during the event.

"The fair will have videos about drunk driving, a mother whose daughter was killed in a drunk driving accident will be speaking, a drunk driving simulator will be available for students to try and the (Blood Alcohol Testing) Mobile will be present for students to tour," she said.

Hammock also said that between the fair and the car, students are sure to get SADD's message.

"It's hard to get kids to take a stand on an issue, but we do have kids who support the program," she said.

Eubanks said it's an issue that must be addressed to keep students safe.

"People think wrecks won't be bad and that they aren't a big deal, but they are."

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.