Sister Act Helps Hoyas Defeat UNC

But the Tar Heels fell prey to a pair of siblings and a rough second half.

Georgetown unleashed the tandem of Sheehan and Wick Stanwick, who led the Hoyas to a 15-9 victory.

The Tar Heels (7-4) just couldn't keep up with the sisters, as almost every Georgetown score had a Stanwick imprint.

"They didn't do anything that we didn't expect them to do," UNC coach Jenny Slingluff Levy said. "I thought the shots that they made were really good shots."

Those good shots translated into seven goals for Sheehan and five goals for Wick, along with four assists between them.

"We did a great job (Saturday)," Sheehan Stanwick said. "The defense was able to get us the ball, and we just ended up finishing."

Despite the Hoyas' offensive prowess, the Tar Heels jumped out to an early 4-2 lead off two goals from Lindsay Stone and a goal apiece from Amy Havrilla and Christine McPike.

The Hoyas (8-1) responded with three straight goals, giving them a 5-4 lead. Sheehan Stanwick scored two and Sarah Oglesby added another. UNC scored the next two goals, and the Hoyas added another with 6:42 left in the half.

Erin McInnes scored off an assist from Stone giving UNC a 7-6 lead with 4:09 remaining in the half. Little did the Tar Heels know that this goal would be their last for more than 28 minutes.

UNC's offense floundered, and Georgetown took advantage. Wick Stanwick put two goals into the back of the cage before halftime.

The Georgetown offense then scored the next seven goals coming out of the half, putting the game out of reach.

"In the second half, we weren't getting the fast breaks that we got in the first," Stone said. "I think we just started to panic toward the end, and we weren't making good choices."

The UNC defense struggled without junior tri-captain Porter Wilkinson, who did not play due to a kidney infection.

Slingluff Levy even tried replacing goalie Melissa Coyne with Katelyn Hoffman with 17:17 to go in the second half, but the move didn't pay off. Hoffman allowed two goals in five minutes, and Coyne came back with 12:53 left.

Without Wilkinson on defense and problems in goal, the Stanwick sisters lit up the Tar Heels with their shooting, stick-handling, and speed.

"We've been playing together for a long time," Stanwick said. "I know where she's going, and she knows where I'm going, and (Saturday), it just fell together."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.