Spade's Humor Helps `Joe Dirt' Grow on Viewer, Like a Mullet

Adventures of Joe Dirt
3 Stars

Mullets are tons of fun.

From the ever-popular mulletsgalore.com to the latest lowbrow-humor comedy "Adventures of Joe Dirt," the haircut that's long in the back and short in the front has defied expectations and become a cultural phenomenon.

"Mullet-like" is exactly the best way to describe "Dirt." It sure isn't going to change lives or win any Academy Awards anytime soon. It will however, grow on you. It is the kind of movie that would be best seen with a couple of your best (perhaps Southern-raised) friends and a cold case of PBRs.

The concept is simple. Crossing "Forrest Gump" with the Billy Ray Cyrus "Behind the Music," "Dirt" is the tale of a boy who loses his parents on a trip to the Grand Canyon while rummaging through the trash. So he sets out on a full-tilt adventure to find his 'rents, leading him into run-ins with big hot-air balloons, alligators, R.V. septic tanks and Kid Rock. Funny already, right?

But how can a movie that stars so many SNL alums, boasts the producers of "Deuce Bigalow" and employs humor most of our elders would cringe at be worth our moolah? Some might say to avoid it like foot-and-mouth disease, but I say a hip-hooray for the film's saving grace: David Spade.

Spade has always been my favorite smart-ass. In "Dirt," he inhabits the role of a guy that is hard not to like, even when he is covered in fecal matter. The character is a comedic inspiration, spouting off such life-affirming statements as "Life is a garden, dig it."

"Dirt" also can be proud to have the best soundtrack since "Dazed and Confused," doubling as a who's who of '70s rock superdom. How can you not like a movie that blares Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Doobie Brothers and Eddie Money in the first 10 minutes?

"Dirt's" jokes come fast and quick The only problem with the film, despite the fact that "Dirt" is kind of stereotypical of Southern hillbillies, is that the movie slows down toward the end during more dramatic moments that are meant for more weepy flicks.

And it does also make the mistake of altering the film's best supporting player in its disappointing ending. That only goes to show that one rule should be followed in every walk of life.

Don't mess with the mullet.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.