Student Congress Swears in Speaker, New Members

Junior Mark Townsend, who clinched the position of speaker by a 13-4 vote, will preside over this session's Congress meetings.

The other four returning Congress members were also appointed to leadership positions: graduate student Sarah Marks as speaker pro tem, law student Gregory Wahl as Student Affairs Committee chairman, junior Tony Larson as Finance Committee chairman and applied sciences graduate student Dave Ruddell as Ethics Committee chairman.

Two new freshman members vied for the remaining leadership position -- chairman of the Rules and Judiciary Committee. Blair Sweeney beat out Seth Floyd for the post with a 10-6 vote.

Townsend, who served as Finance Committee chairman for the 82nd session, topped Wahl, the previous session's Student Affairs Committee chairman.

Wahl said he supported Townsend as speaker and ran because he regretted that no one competed with senior Alexandra Bell for speaker last year.

"I always think there should be a choice," Wahl said.

Although there are still nine unfilled seats in Student Congress, members were sworn in on Tuesday at the student body officers' inauguration. The 83rd session will begin processing legislation next week.

Townsend said he thought the lack of contentiousness in the races was to be expected with the low number of returning Congress members.

"Usually our chairs are almost always someone with experience," he said. "We serve as the leaders and let the new people see how we run and get an idea of what we do."

Marks nominated Townsend for speaker. "I think he's really capable and really passionate about student self-governance at Carolina," Marks said.

Although she said Townsend does not have a legislative agenda to push, Marks said his considerable experience with the Finance Committee will clarify next year's congressional funding policy.

"I know that his experience as finance chair is going to make how we fund next year very clear and to the point, and that is really going to help with the new members," she said.

Marks' job as speaker pro tem involves training new congressional members in parliamentary procedure, a job in which she hopes she can use her experiences as a teaching assistant to do well.

Marks said she is excited about the next session, as the 82nd session was able to overcome their $50,000 debt, as well as to revise the Student Code by placing the Carolina Athletic Association under the auspices of Congress.

"I think we have something to be proud of when we look back on the 82nd," Marks said.

Ruddell agreed with Marks' assessment of the 82nd session, and he predicts a smooth transition to the 83rd.

"We're out of debt and on solid footing," he said. "My forecast is for a quick and efficient Student Congress.

"I don't necessarily think a dull Congress is a bad Congress."