Students, Organizations Detract From UNC's Beauty With Graffiti

At one time in this University's history, students used to take pride in the appearance and upkeep of the campus.

Unfortunately, it appears that time has passed.

These days, it seems that anyone with chalk and free time feels he or she has the right to deface our campus for the sake of a message. The recent "Do You Agree With Marty?" campaign is only symptomatic of a recent trend that threatens to undermine the once-proud beauty of our campus.

The symbol of our University, the Old Well, is surrounded by graffiti. One person was even bold enough to write on its steps. Friends take it upon themselves to decorate Stadium Drive and the Pit with birthday congratulations. One can still see where someone spray-painted "Doherty Is God" in the Pit and Polk Place. And of course, Marty's name is as ubiquitous as ever.

These examples are not harmless advertisements. They constitute no less than vandalism.

The brightly colored chalk that decorates our walkways undermines the dignity of our school. In the last few days, our campus has begun to look more like the parking lot of KinderCare than one of the world's top research institutions.

The solution to this problem lies in the hands of us, the students of UNC. Campus groups and individuals must take responsibility to safeguard the historical beauty of our campus.

This campus is every student's home. We should treat it with the respect it deserves.

Carl Erik Fisher
Sophomore
Biology and Music