Students Sought to Fill Posts

Students can try to gain positions on the various committees and boards that make up the 146 available external positions of student government. Applications are due this Thursday.

Student Body Vice President Rudy Kleysteuber said the external positions are a way for normal students to participate in behind-the-scenes activities at UNC.

"We try not to make these the kind of things that will eat up someone's life," he said. "They don't have to live at student government. They can be regular students who want to contribute.

"We ask that they give regular reports, check up to see if they are going to their meetings and regularly communicate with them."

Kleysteuber said there are a variety of groups students can serve on depending on their interests. The committees range from significant responsibilities like the Buildings and Grounds Committee to less intense committees, like the Student Stores Advisory Committee.

"We probably have anywhere from 50 to 70 different committees, boards and groups that students can serve on," he said. "I think these positions are an amazing opportunity for people to see how things really work. There is a lot going on here."

Kleysteuber said the process of finding students who are willing to give the necessary commitment has been going on for a few weeks, and he has answered many e-mails.

The selection process involves processing the applications and interviewing prospective candidates.

"We read the applications, bring them in for an interview with me and some members of the Cabinet and take the students who impress us with their passion," he said. "We also want students who are articulate and can show some knowledge of the subject they are involved in."

Kleysteuber said interested students are encouraged to look at the Web page www.unc.edu/student/orgs/studgov for additional information.

Student government officials are available to answer any questions the Web page cannot.

"Obviously, sometimes we have students who don't follow through on their responsibilities," Kleysteuber said. "Often they are the only student voice on an issue so we want people who are committed and have time to look into these various issues."

Brad Rathgeber served on the Buildings and Grounds Committee this year and said that he feels he made a positive contribution to UNC.

"I tried to make sure a student voice was heard," Rathgeber said.

"On a committee dominated by faculty, they just don't think about student concerns, so I tried to get that concern in there."