Sunday Brings Chill To Franklin Street

The 29th annual Apple Chill Street Fair, featuring arts, crafts, live entertainment and food, will take place from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. on East Franklin Street just north of the UNC campus.

Parrish Anderson, events specialist at Chapel Hill Parks and Recreation, said Apple Chill will offer something for everyone, including a newly added entertainment area for young children and a new music stage near Schoolkids Records for college students.

Kids can spend the afternoon playing on the super slides and Velcro wall as well as participating in a bungee run and an obstacle course.

"You name it, we have it," Anderson said. "This year, the music is just amazing."

Anderson said there will be five performance areas altogether for music and dance, featuring rock, R&B, blues, swing, salsa and jazz.

One stage will be at McCorkle Place on campus and will feature performers from the UNC community.

Anderson said the majority of Apple Chill's entertainment groups for this year are local.

"I didn't know there were that many groups in Chapel Hill and Carrboro," he said.

There also will be arts and crafts and food vendors, most of whom come from Chapel Hill, Carrboro and the surrounding area.

Anderson, an artist himself, said the vibrant local arts community, centered in Carrboro, lends a wealth of talent to the annual festival.

"I have never seen such high-quality arts and crafts concentrated in such a small area," he said.

Some arts and crafts to be featured at Apple Chill will include pottery, glasswork, jewelry, leather and henna.

Anderson also said he thinks vendors' diverse food offerings, including shark and gator kabobs, Caribbean cuisine, ice cream, cotton candy and Mexican beverages, will be some of the fair's main attractions.

Anderson said Chapel Hill Parks and Recreation has been working closely with other town departments, volunteers and the University to make sure Apple Chill runs smoothly.

"It's a town effort, and I can't emphasize that enough," he said.

Chapel Hill police Capt. Everett Johnson said the section of East Franklin Street between Raleigh and Columbia streets will be closed from 10 a.m. until 8 p.m. Sunday.

Parked cars that are not moved before about 11 a.m. will be towed.

Also this weekend in conjunction with Apple Chill, the second annual Sculpture on the Green will display the works of sculpture artists from the Triangle at McCorkle Place on Saturday and Sunday.

The sculptures will be on display both days from 1p.m. to 6p.m.

This year's new addition of entertainment for children and college students means that Apple Chill truly has something for everyone, Anderson said.

"We have something for the old and the young," he said.

"It's really nice to see the community and families out enjoying this."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.