Tar Heels Beat ACC Opponents

Bobbi Guthrie and doubles partner Mysti Morris knocked off UNC's Kate Pinchbeck and Kendrick Bunn 8-4 at No. 1 doubles.

Despite the win by Guthrie and Morris, North Carolina earned the doubles point with wins at No. 2 and No. 3.

The Yellow Jackets and UNC split singles, each claiming three victories.

The Tar Heels' three singles victories secured the win for UNC.

Sophomore Marlene Mejia, the nation's 14th-ranked player by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association, held off Debbie Reynolds 6-4, 6-3, at No. 1 singles.

Kate Pinchbeck defeated Jaime Wong 6-4, 6-2, at No. 3 singles and UNC freshman Elina Bairos clinched the victory with a 6-3, 3-6, 6-4 victory against Mason Miller at No. 5 singles.

The Tar Heels also defeated Clemson 7-0 on Saturday.

UNC, ranked 20th, won in convincing fashion claiming victory in all of the singles and doubles events.

Bunn and Pinchbeck beat Clemson's Anna Svitskaya and Laurence Janey while Mejia and Rotondi defeated Ana Stiglic and Christina Oldock 8-1 at No. 2 doubles. Tar Heels Erin Niebling and Courtney Zalinski completed the doubles sweep with an 8-3 win.

Women's Lacrosse Tops Vanderbilt

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- North Carolina senior Amy Havrilla scored five goals to lead the sixth-ranked Tar Heels past Vanderbilt by a tally of 9-5 Saturday in women's lacrosse. With the win, UNC's sixth in its last seven games, the Tar Heels improves to 9-4.

The game was close throughout, but the UNC attack proved too much for the Commodores as the Tar Heels scored the final three goals of the game to seal the victory.

Perkins Out for Nine Months

North Carolina defensive tackle Anthony Perkins underwent surgery on his right knee Thursday afternoon to repair damage to his medial collateral ligament, posterior capsule and posterior collateral ligament.

A rising fifth-year senior, Perkins is expected to be out of action for at least nine months and will likely miss the 2001 season. Perkins was injured in practice on April 7 during a special teams drill.

Softball Finally Wins Twin Bill

Two weeks after play began, the North Carolina softball team finally finished up its doubleheader with Virginia, winning 2-0 Friday morning. The game was started on March 31, but was suspended due to rain and darkness after six scoreless innings.

Men's Tennis Tops Georgia Tech

The North Carolina men's tennis team defeated No. 20 Georgia Tech 5-2 on Friday at Bill Moore Tennis Center.