UNC Requests Funds To Light Bell Tower

But even before the request was granted, Chancellor James Moeser and some other University administrators postponed the project in response to financial qualms that resulted from N.C. State University's decision to light their Memorial Tower red last fall.

Initially, N.C. State Chancellor Marye Anne Fox expected the seemingly painless project to incur fairly minimal costs.

But the final bill for N.C. State's lit tower was far more than Fox anticipated -- $112,000.

Moeser and University administrators hope proper planning and private funding will prevent a similar financial fiasco with UNC's Bell Tower project.

"We've continued to refine the project's plan," said Nancy Davis, associate vice chancellor for university relations. "Hopefully, we can continue shaving off some of the costs, and get all of the money from private funds."

Discussion to follow in N.C. State's footsteps and light the 69-year-old tower began shortly after Moeser took the post of chancellor in August.

Ted Hoskins, an architect working on the project, said the plan is coming along nicely. "We just need a proposal from a consultant so we can start getting some concrete plans together," Hoskins said.

Hoskins said a consultant has been working with the grounds and facilities department to design the new lighting for the tower. He said lights will be placed directly behind the clock faces and in the section of the tower holding the bells.

Although N.C. State will light its tower for such occasions as athletic victory celebrations and academic achievements, UNC's tower would constantly be lit at night.

But Hoskins said the cost for the UNC tower's new lights has not yet been determined. "After the consultant gets a concrete plan together, we should be able to prepare a budget of exactly how much (the project) will cost."

The funding for UNC's project would have come from funds used for research projects. Yet Davis said she would like the project to be from private funds.

"We originally proposed that the project be funded with overhead receipts," Davis said. "But after public discussion, we decided it was appropriate to seek private funding."

As of now, UNC's famous landmark won't shine at night anytime soon, Davis said. "We won't begin actually work on the tower until all of the funds are raised."