Women's Lacrosse Wins Pair

No. 7 North Carolina women's lacrosse team defeated No. 13 Penn State 19-9 on Penn State's Bigler Field.

The Tar Heels (7-3) got three goals and three assists from Betsy Gaines and four goals and one assist from both Kellie Thompson and Amy Havrilla, en route to downing the Nittany Lions (3-6).

Penn State's Kristin Wood opened the second half with a goal a minute into the period. After the teams traded two goals apiece, making the score 11-6, UNC's Stone scored again, giving the Tar Heels a 12-6 advantage and North Carolina never looked back, outscoring Penn State 7-3 down the stretch.

Friday, North Carolina overpowered Ohio State 18-6.

The Tar Heels, led by Erin McInnes' six-point day, also got three goals and three assists from Havrilla and three goals from McPike.

Women's Golf Finishes 14th

ATHENS, Ga. -- The North Carolina women's golf team finished 14th with a total score of 968 at this weekend's Liz Murphy Collegiate Classic. Duke held on to its 36-hole lead to win the tournament with a score of 902. Georgia finished second with a score of 913 while Auburn came in third with a three-day total of 926.

Duke's Kalen Anderson fired a final round 73 to capture the individual title at 5-over-221. After shooting a final round 80, Texas' Randi Meadows slipped to second at 7-over-223.

Maria Beautell of Wake Forest, Sarah Johnston of Alabama, Kristy McPherson of South Carolina, and Celeste Troche of Auburn all finished tied for third at

8-over- 224.

For the Tar Heels, junior Shelley McKevitt carded a final round 76 to finish tied for 20th place

16-over- 232. Freshman Ashley Prange ended the weekend tied for 51st place at 243, while Abby Spector finished tied for 69th place at 248. Beth Lever and Heather Angell were two of four golfers tied for 72nd place at 250.

Men's Golf Ties for 8th Place

AUGUSTA, Ga. -- The North Carolina men carded a 6-over-870 at the Cleveland Golf/ASU Invitational to tie with Tennessee.

Freshman Dustin Bray led the Tar Heels with a 3-under-213 to finish in eighth place.