Work to Make the BCC Unite

But with the groundbreaking of the Black Cultural Center on Thursday, I believe we are well on our way to creating yet another exclusionary institution that hinders rather than helps in the movement toward racial unity. As an African American, I don't deny that it is important to celebrate African- American culture on this campus and the fact that the BCC should definitely profess the need for expansion. But is it really necessary that there be a freestanding center on this campus? I think not, because it leads to exclusion as mentioned earlier and because it gives preferential treatment to one racial group over many others.

In addressing the exclusion issue first, it is important to remember that while the BCC might say its doors are open to all, I contend that it is not really approachable to everyone.

I believe it essentially will become a "black student union," as it almost parallels the segregationist policies prior to the civil rights movement of the 1960s. Just as the signs on the diners in the 1950s displayed who was and who was not allowed to enter, much in the same way, the building will have "black" cultural center displayed on the outside.

While it does not say whites or any other group aren't allowed, it certainly doesn't sound like an open invitation to all ethnic groups. One might say it is up to these other groups to march inside the doors of this new institution and work to make it as inclusive as possible. While this would be ideal, much like the civil rights movement of the 1960s, there are often problems with trying to learn or work in a place in which you aren't necessarily invited.

While I'm not asserting that any white person who tries to enter the BCC will be shunned and beaten like the young African Americans were during the civil rights movement, I am declaring that more often than not this white person will feel unwelcome because he or she is ignored by the "black first" power structure that is bound to be created at a place frequented by African Americans.

This might include the fact that the non-black will either feel ignored or unwanted much like the students in the 1960s movement or as blacks often feel today at predominantly white schools.

As a side note for those who say white people will be welcome on this new institution, oh excuse me, "Black Cultural Center," I haven't seen too many non-blacks in the current BCC. In fact, I seem to remember Chancellor James Moeser stopping by to talk about race relations for all of ten minutes and then quickly fleeing, uncomfortably speaking to a predominantly black crowd about how race relations need to be improved at this University.

If our own chancellor is perceived to be uncomfortable in what is now a room in the Union, how can we expect all students to feel at ease at a whole center dedicated to one race?

In regards to the preferential treatment it gives one racial group (blacks) over another, it is quite obvious how this occurs. Why, for instance, are we having a building dedicated only to black culture while neglecting 90 percent of the campus? Is it too much to ask to make this a multi-cultural center? Maybe we should regress into a period in which we have separate facilities for all races. Let's fund an Asian-American Center, Indian Center, hell, how about a Canadian Center.

They all have their own cultures; I'm sure they'd like to display in a contemporary facility. Is the BCC special because it represents a larger part of campus or because other groups are not organized?

Well, some argue the homosexual community also represents 10 percent of this campus, and I seriously doubt that it will get its own center even though it might have professed that possibility recently. In fact, let's make UNC a continuum of institutions dedicated to several arbitrary groups that don't matter any more than the color of one's skin. I believe we should have a center for the big and tall. (Too bad Brian Bersticker didn't win the student body president last year; he could have proposed that.)

Let's also have a center for overweight people. Hey, they deserve to be given a special place to go and learn. While I hope no one takes my aforementioned sarcasm seriously, it does point out how extraneous a BCC is destined to be.

Conclusively, while the building of the BCC is inevitable, it is important that we make sure it doesn't become an institution for one and only group like the name suggests.

It is imperative that students remember that despite the name, all are welcome to those on the outside and for those in the inside to extend their invitation with open arms. While it is important to break the incessant chain of racism, it only comes to fruition if we work together instead of building apart.

Kenneth Chandler is a junior politcal science major. Reach him with

questions and comments at

kchandle@email.unc.edu.