Young Fulfills Promise of Diverse Staff

"I think it's important to know and say it in a public forum," said Kleysteuber, who was sworn in as student body vice president Tuesday.

"It's an interesting facet of diversity that can be in the open or stay hidden," he said.

His decision to share this information was supported by Student Body President Justin Young, who said during his campaign that diversity within the Cabinet and student body officers is important in making student government accessible to all students.

The positions of student body president, vice president, secretary and treasurer are now filled by a black male, a gay white male, a black female and a black female, respectively.

Young and Kleysteuber said the effects of the officers' diverse backgrounds on the student body will be positive.

"I think that diversity strengthens the representation (of the student body)," Young said.

And many students said diversity in student government is necessary in an intellectual atmosphere.

"I would think any university would stand for a unification of cultures," said senior Jin Lee.

"If there's tolerance anywhere, it should start here -- where we're here to learn."

Though every group at UNC cannot be reflected in the four student body officer positions, Young said all students will be well represented.

"Just because I'm a black student body president does not mean I can only represent black students -- or because Rudy is gay that he can only represent gay students."

Kleysteuber said the common denominator of being students also ensures that everyone will be well represented.

He added that applicants for student government's 24-member Cabinet "ran the whole gamut of diversity" -- a factor Kleysteuber said is a positive result of Young's efforts to make student government welcoming to everyone.

Young also said that beyond their diverse backgrounds, the people filling the student body officer and Cabinet positions are all well qualified.

Dean Bresciani, associate vice chancellor for student affairs, said finding both qualified and diverse people is a difficult task that Young successfully completed.

"I think the challenge in my mind is finding a diverse group that will work well together," Bresciani said.

"It's easy to find a diverse group or a group that will work well together, but it's pulling both factors together that is important."